Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Call SQL Server Job From CF

Status
Not open for further replies.

NickyJay

Programmer
Sep 1, 2003
GB
Hi Guys, dont know if this is the right place to ask - i assume so but appologies if not!

I have a job set up in SQL Server 2005 and need to be able to run it from my Coldfusion page. I thought i would be able to do this using a button, but im not too sure where to start.

I know there is a feature to call Stored Procedures but is there anything to call a job? I have seen the CFOBJECT tag and how it can be used to run a DTS package, but can't see anywhere if this is what i should use??

Any help/advice appreciated!!

Thanks

[smile]

Not sure about calling a Job directly. You may can do it via cfobject, but I wouldn't think so (though I've never tried).

I would suggest you ask the folks over at the SQL Server Forum (forum183) if there's a way to call a Job from a Stored Procedure. If so, just create the Procedure to call the Job, then have CF call that Procedure.

Hope This Helps!

ECAR
ECAR Technologies

"My work is a game, a very serious game." - M.C. Escher

This T-SQL code creates and runs a self-destructing job that runs a stored procedure. You can tweak it to run existing stuff.

IF not EXISTS(select name from msdb.dbo.sysjobs where name='job_#ucase(l_user)#')
exec msdb.dbo.sp_add_job @job_name = 'myjob_#ucase(l_user)#',
@enabled = 1,
@description = 'Create Price Table for #ucase(l_user)#',
@delete_level = 1,
@notify_level_eventlog = 2,
@owner_login_name = 'loginname'
IF EXISTS(select name from msdb.dbo.sysjobs where name='job_#ucase(l_user)#')
BEGIN
exec msdb.dbo.sp_add_jobstep @job_name = 'job_#ucase(l_user)#',
@step_name = 'createwhatever',
@command = 'exec gensp_MyProcedure ''#ucase(l_user)#'', ''#dateformat(now(),"yyyy-mm-dd")#''',
@database_name = 'MyDB',
@database_user_name = 'User'

exec msdb.dbo.sp_add_jobserver @job_name = 'job_#ucase(l_user)#'

exec msdb.dbo.sp_start_job @job_name = 'job_#ucase(l_user)#'
END

HTH,

Phil Hegedusich
Senior Programmer/Analyst
IIMAK
-----------
Pity the insomniac dyslexic agnostic. He stays up all night, wondering if there really is a dog.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back