Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Call Restrictions - Operator

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeuz

Programmer
Feb 26, 2002
CA
On what I believe to be a MICS 4.1 system I need to be able to block operator calls from certain extensions.

They are public use phones so the people using them can be quite creative at getting past restrictions. I've blocked calls beginning with a 0 but somehow they still get through. Long distance has been successfully blocked, 1900 numbers aer blocked, and all the toll-free numbers are allowed through. It happens at all times of the day.

Is there different ways to call an operator? Is there a feature setting I'm missing?

Any help would be appreciated.

Darcy

If they dial a 1010220 code or other Long Distant carrier code they can access a operator. Have you also denied access to directory assistance calls.
Good Luck!!

1010220 should be blocked by the generic block which I have for anything that starts with a 1 - (allows 1800, 1888, 1877, 1866)

411 is also blocked

so is any of the * codes that could give another dialtone (*67, etc)

As I said before, some of these people using the phones are being VERY creative, some of them are phone techs who know more about the phone system then I do. I've blocked everything else they've come up with but still can't block this one yet.

I can always go through the raw dump of data collected by our call tracking software but I've been hoping to avoid that unpleasant task.

Set it up to allow 1800, 1866 (toll free numbers) and 911 calls only. They could be calling another station have that person dial number and transfer call to that phone(internal operator assisted).

Mystery solved - Call tracking software was recording this as a completed call. It assigned a cost to the call, but the calls only had a duration of about 6 seconds so they must have been blocked. However the software doesn't know it was restricted. Raw data dumps are a lot more useful then the call tracking reports in this instance.

So now we have an accounting nightmare but since that's not my dept there's nothing further for me to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back