Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Call Recording MiCollab Softphones Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devolution

Programmer
Jun 6, 2005
GB
Hello,

I have a site that just uses MiCollab Softphones, both in the office and out of the office. They have a TW MBG (DMZ) clustered with the MiCollab (LAN) with an MiVB (all on the latest versions and virtual). They want to install the ASC call recorder and I was wondering if I could enable the SRC functionality on the MBG within the MiCollab instead of installing a new MBG dedicated to the SRC?

My thinking is that the MBG in the MiCollab has all the details of the softphone registrations i.e MAC addresses, which the SRC can tap into and use with the ASC call recorder.

If I do have to install the new SRC MBG, would I have to cluster this with the TW and MiCollab MBG? Would I have to do anything with the softphones to register with the SRC?

Thanks in advance.

Not familiar with ASC but I have done a lot of work on the MiVCR, so from that point of view I am answering your question.
The bottom line here is for a SIP device to be recorded, RTP needs to pass through the SRC. So you will require tap licenses to which MBG the devices are registered.
Note that Tap licenses are not shared in a cluster scenario.

Clever men learns what Wise men shares!

Thanks Valamagules. That is a good point about the Tap licenses not being shared when clustered. The ASC is the replacement for the MiVCR so the connection method is the same. I've done this a few times with physical handsets and it's been simple, just register the handsets to the SRC MBG by updating the DHCP scope but for this site with just MiCollab Softphones, it has thrown me because it's not the same process.

there is a ks article on this
- basically you use a dns srv record for the micollab sip softphones so thaat when they connect externally they connect via MBG -TW
and when they connect internally they connect via MBG-SRC

NOTE there are restrictions on what MBG's can be used for internal connections
- you cant use a MBG that has a wan on it or has the public ip set as the streaming address
- we have used MBgs that use 2nd lan for sip trunks as the internal SRc MBG without issues

If I never did anything I'd never done before , I'd never do anything.....

Thanks Blizz66, that makes sense and if I am using the MiCollab MBG for the SRC feature then I don't actually have to change anything as the DNS is set up in the way you have described. My final question is, do I need to have Tap licenses on the TW MBG and MiCollab SRC?

you need taps everywhere that they might need to be used
All the MBG's we have clusterd share their licenses into the pool

this is from MBG online help

"All nodes in the cluster contribute their licenses to the cluster pool. Any node that requires a license (for connections, compression, tap requests, or trunks) takes it from the pool. If the pool does not contain enough licenses to supply the node, the request fails and an alarm is generated. When a node is removed from a cluster, the licenses it originally contributed are also removed. Any licenses that it procured from the pool after joining the cluster are returned to the pool. If nodes without licenses are added to the cluster, they will also take from the pool as required."

If I never did anything I'd never done before , I'd never do anything.....

Excellent. Thanks for your help. I have everything I need to get this working now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back