Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Call Pilot Passwords

Status
Not open for further replies.

SL1M1

Technical User
Feb 10, 2005
GB

If I change the passwords to 4 digits as per the clients request will I be digging myself a massive hole ?

I can take the prefix out i.e. 12 and set password length to 4 digits.

May plan is to change the users password in the application and have extended the time to reset passwords to 365 days the maximum...So I guess when this time arrives can the user
re-set their own or is it a case of resetting them on the application one by one with a jumble of 4 digit passwords?

With around 3000 users not sure if this is a good idea ?
I have CP Server703t
Cheers

password length is not an issue; you do have to have a password prefix, you can change it to "1" instead of "12" but when you try to build a mailbox with no password prefix, you will get an error that the password is trivial because it matches the mailbox number.

You can also set the time to change passwords to 0 which means passwords will never expire.

OK Thanks for your feedback

with 3000 users and 4 digit passwords, chances are i could hack your system in about 3 tries.. if the dn length matchs the password length, way to many users depend on the ext backwords as a big puzzle.. about a year ago i saw a report that stated 70 percent of toll hackers did so via the mail.. they will not allow me to set paswords here as tight as i would like to, but you need to let them know, it's when they get hacked, not if.. not a publised fact but if the password length does not match the dn length, and you keep retries to 3, you are way better off.. i don't force password changes, because i would need another person, just to reset passwords..

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back