Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Call Pilot 4 - Backup operation "Skipped"

Status
Not open for further replies.

dudecrush

IS-IT--Management
Apr 2, 2007
US
Hello. I've got a CP, v4.04.04.30 running W2K3 Appliance Edition, SP1. The following PEP's are installed:
40404Su04s; 404ACC002S; 404S04G10S; 404S04G19S; 404S04G22C; 404S04G26S; 404S04G32S; 404S04G33S; 404S04G35S; 404S04G36S; 404S04G42S; 404S04L07S; 404SEC005S

As you can guess by the thread title, my backups are failing (actually, it says "skipped"). The backups go to a network share instead of tape.

The CP backup log shows the following:
* Cannot retrieve database userID/password, rc=41449. Will attempt to use defaults.
* Error writing to tape, win32 rc=64, MAS rc=41827
* Writing file failed. The backup item
* Warning: Backup Item D:\Nortel\sysops\backup\database\Bluedat1.db failed.
* Item D:\Nortel\sysops\backup\database\Bluedat1.db has been skipped. MAS rc=41827.
* VLBackApp::BackupNode. Item D:\Nortel\Database has been skipped.
* VLBackApp::BackupNode. Item System Backup has been skipped.
* No items in 'Full System Backup (CALLPIL)' could be backed up.
* Close the network connection to the server (\\10.111.1.30\voicemail) and terminate the impersonation.

The event logs from the server say the following:

Event from Fault Management Service[MRxSmb] : Event from , Event: ID= 50, Description: {Delayed Write Failed} Windows was unable to save all the data for the file \Device\LanmanRedirector. The data has been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection. Please try to save this file elsewhere.

Event from Fault Management Service[Application Popup] : Event from , Event: ID= 26, Description: Application popup: Windows - Delayed Write Failed : Windows was unable to save all the data for the file \\atlpfp01\voicemail\IPESystemBackup CALLPIL 090622 2000.dat. The data has been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection. Please try to save this file.

To fix, I have tried the following, but all failed...
a) Reset the NGenSys account password used for the backup
b) Deleted the backup job and re-created it
c) Rebooted the CP server and re-run the backup
d) Run manual backups
e) Mapped a drive to the network share on the CP server.

The backups were working fine until a month ago, until I changed the weekly date on which the full backup ocurred. Now I get jack. To me, it looks like a password error or that it simply can't save to the share, but I don't see how that is possible. I can map a drive to the share using the NGenSys password from the CP server and it goes just fine. Furthermore, the NGenSys account has full share and R/W access to that file server. I don't get it.

My co. is in bankruptcy (who isn't?), so I don't have a Nortel maintenance agreement. Thus, I'm flying solo on this one. Anyone have ideas?

Thanks.

It's scheduled for 8pm at night, but the file server is up at that time and backups haven't yet kicked off.

Are you able to map a network drive to the backup server where you are writing the backups to?

Can you access that device from windows on the CallPilot server?

Have you verified that the credentials you are using to connect to the network share have full access to the destination folder?

allenmac - If you read the original thread, I've done all these things. I can map a drive to the backup share from the Windows portion of the CP server using the correct credentials, and the drive maps perfectly.

Reread the OP - There are a couple of things that I notice,

Most of your PEPS are listed as Obsolete on the Nortel PEP site. No SEC PEPS have been applied since Feb 2007.

SU04 is the latest SU, and 22C is the latest CPManager, so that's ok.

At this point, I would recommend getting your PEPs up to date, and see if that helps. If you try going to Nortel, the 1st thing they are going to look at is your PEPs, so this will save you that step if you are current already.

allenmac - Since I don't have a Nortel maintenance contract, is it possible to get the PEP's or no?

if you to the second page of the post you will see
the latest and greatest peps for 4.0 and 5.0 i posted them weeks ago your callpilot manager pep is outdated

no problems only solutions

strmwalker

stmwalker - Thanks for the info. However, I was unable to find the post you were referring to. What is the name of the thread?

Also - I found an entry from you in 2007 discussing the proper procedure for installing PEP's. However, I was unable to find the earlier post that listed the steps. You wouldn't happen to have those, would you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back