Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Call Me and Notify Me turn off 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arrk

Programmer
Jan 2, 2009
US
Just curious if anyone else has experienced an issue like this. We are running MM3.1 SP10 with MSS. Whenever we reboot the server that runs these features, some people's features stop working. We haven't found any consistency in the users.

The rules LOOK like they are intact. The way we fix it is to use Subscriber Options to turn off the rules, apply, turn the rules back on, and apply again. Then we look for the General Event 108 for the user that indicates Call Me/Notify Me rules were reloaded in the Application Event log. If it doesn't appear, the rule(s) probably aren't fixed, so we do it again until they are.

Anyone else finding these rules to stop working without anyone telling them to stop?

Hello, I see you mentioned this issue as of June 4,2009. We went from SP9 to SP10 and then immediately to SP11 since SP10 seemed to be ( as usual) messed up. That being said you mentioned the server that runs the Call me function which is the part that makes Notify me messages work... Did you reboot and theen saw that the Call Me server was disabled and then you had to put it to automatic and activate it again to make Notify me Work? I have several global issues at different locations that went to SP10 then I requested them to go to SP11 and they experienced Notify me issues and the Call me server functions had to be changed to automatic then activated. I wish I knew what was causing this. My field site did indeed touch each and every subscriber and turn off the Notify me by unchecking the notify me box on each subscriber then reactivated it by putting the check mark back on and applying and it is working again for these subscribers. More things they say they fix the more they break old things that used to work fine. let mee kknow your thoughts.

How many MAS's do you have and what one is running the services you speak of?

Ken Means

"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have."
- Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

I may be off base here, but it is an idea for you.

Our system here has 2 MAS's that are to work in sync with the MSS. We recently had an issue with those individuals whose mailboxes connected to the MAS2. The system did not recognize the password and would tell the individual to call the administrators. If he dialed in and got MAS1 everything was fine. It turns out the second system was not synced to the MSS where the first system was. Could it be that your MAS is not syncing with the MSS? Avaya told us we would know if it wasn't syncing when strange things were happening to some users and not others.

We are using 4.0 Service pack 1. Reboot will not fix these issues if that is the case. You will need the Avaya tool that resets the MAS to the MSS and you can download it from the Avaya site:
Feb-07 Avaya Modular Messaging 3.1/4.0 Front End Database (FEDB) Resync Tool

Hope this helps!

It would not be the FEDB as the feature works until reboot according to the post.

If you are getting (and i do not know if they are or not) 1027 codes in the app log then the system is updating the status of the mailboxes.

Ken Means

We have 3 MASs that take calls, one that runs the Call Me, Notify Me, and MWI, and an offline store. Installing SP11 this weekend, so we expect it to break some subscribers' rules again. Avaya is going to capture before-and-after data, but I don't know specifically what they are going to capture.

So it sounds like you have a supplementary server running the MWI and mailbox monitor service as well as the CallMe and NotifyMe.

Are you absolutely sure that the services are only running on that server and are not set to run on any other?

Is the trace/supplementary server listed as an MAS without ports or just a trace/sup server?

If it is not a MAS then the first thing i would do is to move the services to a MAS with ports.

It should then start working with out any of the aforementioned issues.

I have found that even though Avaya tells you this should work that it always works 100% better on a server that is a MAS even if it does not have any ports.

Ken Means

Thank you for the advice. I'm not sure if we can implement moving these services to an MAS with ports due to other reasons, but I will see if we can try it.

Our supplementary server no longer has tracing, but is listed as a MAS that has no ports. This service was moved to the offline store, and has had no effect on weather the rules stop working or not.

I am sure the Call Me and Notify Me services are only running on MAS4.

It is fairly easy to move them and really has minimal impact on users.

Call Me Service and MWI Service must be coresident with Mailbox Monitor and only running on that one server. If not you will get odd issues like this.

Ken Means

Call Me, Notify Me, MWI, and Mailbox Monitor are all running only on that MAS.

We just installed SP11 Monday morning, and some users had their Me features stop working, as usual, since we had to reboot that MAS.

FYI, Avaya eventually discovered the source of this issue. It seems that it takes a while for the MSS to synchronize with the server that that runs the Me features. So you can't simultaneously reboot the MSS and Me features servers, but must do them sequentially.

We haven't been able to duplicate the issue since trying the new reboot procedure, so it seems to be fixed.

That seems very odd to me. I just put service pack 12 on a system and it did fix the callme and findme issues.

Ken Means

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back