Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Call Manager Partitions and CSS's

Status
Not open for further replies.

lerdalt

MIS
Oct 30, 2001
US
Something just not making much sense to me right now and hoping someone can tell me if I have it or not. Going through the section on partitions and css's and the examples of "keys and locks." Am I understanding correctly that if Phone A has a "lock" on it, and Phone B does not have the "key", that Phone B can not call Phone A?

The material keeps referring to accessing phones, and I'm assuming that the terms "accessing" and "dialing/calling" are being used interchangably.

Lets see if I can explain this...

You can have different types of partitions;

PT_LD - assign this to the route pattern for LD Calls
PT_Local - assign this to the route pattern for 7/10 digit calling
PT_International - assign this to international calling
PT_Internal - assign this to your lines for internal calling between phones

Then you can have different types of CSS as well... the PT's reside in a CSS

CSS_LD_Ability - PT_LD, PT_Local, PT_Internal
CSS_NO_LD - PT_Local, PT_Internal
CSS_Intl_Ability - PT_LD, PT_Local, PT_Internal, PT_International

Each gateway, line, route pattern, ect will have a PT assigned to it.. This allows you to control what phones can call what devices/route patterns. You can have voicemail partitions, so if you do not want specific users in a certain CSS to call the VM group you can.

Another way is to give the actual phone ability to call everything, then restrict the line from calling international by creating a CSS that blocks international calling.

Now that the examples are out of the way... Partions allow a devices to call other devices in the same partitions. CSS allow you to group Partitions together so that a device can access other partitions that are not assigned to it specifically.

Hope this helps

------------------------------------
Dallas, Texas
Telecommunications Tech
CCVP, CCNA, Net+

CCNP in the works

yep that helps. My problem was relating "accessing" and "calling" together. One of those terminology things that I wanted to make certain I had figured out.

I was starting to get it figured out better the other day, of course then I took the little end of chapter questions and discovered that the answers were messed up. It's been so fun working on the CCVP, only to keep finding that there are mistakes in some of the materials. Just adds more to my confusion.

One of the best things I can tell you about getting your CCVP... do not go by just the books, YOU NEED THE EXPERIENCE.. Go on Ebay, find a copy of the CD for 7.1 and install it in VMWare, just make sure you machine is not an AMD Processor, and go through the process of installing a CUCM.

If you want more info on how to do this, go to blindhog.net.

Dallas, Texas
Telecommunications Tech
CCVP, CCNA, Net+

CCNP in the works

Yeah, I've figured that already. I have a copy of CM already, just haven't had the time just yet to get it loaded. Co-Worker has it running on a Vm server already, and I have installed it once. Work just keeps getting in the way of really doing anything with it yet.

I have access to a 6.1 and 4.1.3 on a daily basis.. so reinstalling 7.1 and putting it to use in a lab has really been on the back burner.. been to busy trying to get my ccnp taken care of and dealing with work. In the process of getting my lab at the house set up, but there just never seems to be enough time lol.

Dallas, Texas
Telecommunications Tech
CCVP, CCNA, Net+

CCNP in the works

yeah...add a 5 week old daughter into the mix too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back