Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Call Forward on Busy fails after switching phone service

Status
Not open for further replies.

markcgross

Technical User
Oct 27, 2014
US
I am an end user. We have a Meridian M8x24-DS with a Norstar Flash voicemail system with 7310 phones. We have four phone lines programed as follows - one main office line that rings at the reception desk, one fax/outgoing line, one line assigned to my office and the other line assigned to my partner's office. The two lines that ring in the separate offices are programed to forward on busy and on no answer to set 243, our voicemail, and until we switched phone service providers (from AT&T to Comcast), everything worked fine. Now, calls still forward to voice mail on no answer, but on busy, they do not (when those phone sets are in use on the line assigned to them, an incoming call to the respective line gets no answer if call waiting is enabled or gets a busy signal if call waiting is disabled). We do not want call waiting, of course. I have checked the call forwarding on busy settings, and everything looks fine on each phone. Any ideas?

I think you are confused.

When a telephone line is busy, a 2nd call to it does not even reach your building... caller gets busy signal or ringing if call waiting enabled. If you want voice mail when the line is busy ask your carrier for it. This has nothing to do with your telephone system.

Marv ccna
telemarvlogosmall.gif

Sales, Installation & Service for Norstar, BCM, Samsung & Allworx Serving Ottawa and Eastern Ontario since 1990

It sounds like you may have actually had two additional lines, one for each partner. If you did they would have been in "hunt" or "rotary" and then when your line was busy they would have rang to the voice mail, as you desire. As it is now, as Marv says, the call never even reaches your office.

If you only have one line for each partner then there is no way that a second call can come into the office, the call never leaves ATT/Comcast. You could get voice mail from Comcast, but you would not be using your voice mail system at that point, but it may solve your problem as it is now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back