Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Call forward based on hour? Or from menu choice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

orie

Technical User
Jun 20, 2001
US
Is it possible to have the main menu presented durring most hours, but have the system forward all calls out to an external number durring certain hours (say 6pm to 10pm)?

Or, is it possible to present a menu with say two options.. option 1 would go to an extension (or voicemail) and option 2 would transfer out to an external number?

Can different menus be offered at different times?

Many Thanks!

-Elliott

Depends on the Voice Mail - Partner Mail R3, Partner Mail VS R5, and Partner Messaging R1 have "Centrex Transfer" as a selector code option.

Partner Mail VS uses the same selector codes for day and night, but the day message could say "For Joe, press 5", while the night message could say "For Joe, press 6". Selector code 5 would go to Joe's extension, and selector code 6 would do a Centrex transfer to Joe's outside number. Only problem, is familiar customers may not listen to the menu, and hit the code that they're used to dialing, and not go where you want them to go.

On the Partner Mail R3 and the new Partner Messaging R1, you could use the same selector code and set the definition differently for day and night. Day/Night mode can be controlled by either the Night Button on Ext. 10, or the internal clock/calendar in the Voice Mail.

With any of these senarios, you need to have Centrex service from the telephone company.

What is centrex service? I've programmed several switches as you described above with selector code transfer and outcalling, but I've never known what the centrex was?

Matt Wray
CCNA, MCP

Perfect, that's just what I wanted to know. Excellent info!

Centrex is a trademarked name for a group of central office features on your phone lines. It includes things line "intercom calling", which allows you to call from line to line by dialling something like # and the last 4-digits. (useful if a customer has an off-site location, but still served by the same central office)

The "Centrex Transfer" feature takes advantage of the ability to receive an incoming call, flash to get a second dial tone, dial an outside number, and then hang up and have the original caller transfered to the new number.

Remember, it's on your nickle, so it's important to change the system administrator's password to prevent an unauthorized person from changing the destination phone number and calling out over your lines.

I am using the Centrex Transfer feature in my installation. The only service needed on affected phone lines to make it work is "Call Transfer Disconnect".

This feature is usually packaged as part of a larger "Centrex" offering, but most carriers seem to offer it separately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back