Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Call ASP without Window.open()

Status
Not open for further replies.

nj5j

Programmer
Oct 5, 2000
US
Right now I am, from the client-side, calling an asp with a window.open(). The asp called acquires data from SQL Server 7.0 via stored procedure and then changes data on the client document via window.opener.xxxxxxxx.value = whatever.
This technique results in a brief opening of a window and then closing of the window. The user hates it and so do I.
I noticed a Microsoft site does something very similar but without the window.open() function. I have tried capturing their site but since I get only the generated html I can not see what goes on "under the covers" via the actual asp code. Looks like they are using an IFRAME in the process.
Any ideas how they are doing this???

You can use Remote Scripting, with this methode you can execute a function on the server from a script on the client side.

I think this methode use a Java Applet on the client side : the applet communicate directly with the server to execute de function.

nj5j, I fail to understand why do you need to open window at all on the client-side? I mean whatever data you store in window.opener.xxxxxxxx.value you can store in any other JavaScript variable. ---
---

I think you're right on about using IFRAMEs. You can either use a hidden IFRAME or a hidden frame. Not getting too specific, I believe the gist is you have your hidden frame's source be the asp that gets the data. When you need to get the data, call a method in that frame that submits the frame's form, which returns the data. Then get the data from the form in that hidden frame.

That make any sense?

GlennBSI (Visitor): Yes, that is a good suggestion. That is what I was intending to do. I am not sure how to implement this; however, I will try it.
Thanks for your input/idea!
Carl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back