Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Calendars in Outlook

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dink

Technical User
Mar 8, 2002
GB
We currently have Exchange 5.5 service pack 2 and Outlook 97

Our senior partner has asked us to look into giving a colleague permission to view his calendar, but he doesn't want this colleague to get access to the Inbox and Sent Items.

I am fairly new to Exchange so any help would be much appreciated

Dink

Dink,

We use Outlook 98, and several users have shared folders in this manner. Hopefully, the procedure for OL97 is similar to this.

1) On the senior partner's machine, view the folder list.

2) Right-click on Calendar and choose properties and then permissions.

3)Add the user who is to be able to see the calendar, and set up appropriate permissions (view, edit, etc)

4) Repeat steps 2 & 3 for the top level folder (mailbox - username). THIS IS IMPORTANT - if you don't do this, it won't work at all. You can also repeat this step for any other folders you want to share (contacts, notes, etc)

5) On the other users machine, go into Tools & Services
Open up the Exchange Server service and then go to the Advanced tab

6) Add the senior partner's name under "Open these additional mailboxes". The senior partner's mailbox should now appear in the fodler list, and you can make shortcuts in the outlook bar in the usual (drag and drop) way.

Hope this isn't too different for OL97 and that this will help you out.

Regards

Robert

Hi Robert

Thanks for your reply.

I have tried what you have suggested but it still doesn't seem to work.

Have you got any other suggestions??

Regards

Dinks

Hi Robert

Thanks for your reply.

I have tried what you have suggested but it still doesn't seem to work.

Have you got any other suggestions??

Regards

Dink

Dink,

Unfortunately I don't have OL97 around here to try it out on, so I don't think I can offer anything further.

Can you tell me at what stage you have problems?

Can anyone else shed any light on this for Dink?

Robert

I think you forgot one step. In Outlooks main window, go to Tools, Options, Delegates, and add the user in there as well. Apply the appropriate permissions...

If you want to share calendar switch to calendar view in clients outlook, click file, folder, Properties for Calendar, click permissions tab, assign permissions according to the access level required.
In the the other user's outlook, select file, open, Other user's Folder, select name & folder (in this case Calendar). That's it.

Thanks for all your responses.

I have managed a way around it.

In Exchange 5.5, under our partners name we have added the users who is to have his calendar but changed his default permissions, under the default permissions you will see a series of options ticked that, that users can access, by un-selecting mailbox owner, when I went up to that users outlook and added the partner he needed to view, the only folders that the users could see was his deleted items, calendar, contacts, there were no inbox option or sent items option.

Thanks again

DINK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back