Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Calendar visible to everyone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Delle

MIS
Jun 29, 2002
NL
Not too sure if this is a feature. We have 200 users on Exchange 5.5 using Outlook 2000. Users can view each others calendars completely. Is this normal? I know that you should be able to see the title of an appointment, but I didn't think that you should be able to completely open the appointment. All employees can open others calendars by going through File - Open - Other Users folders. Is this supposed to happen, and if not, how do we correct it? Any input would be great!!

Dude, if you dont' know the answer to this very simply "problem" then you shouldn't be in a an MIS position for years to come. I'm sorry, but you're too new to support anyone. You should be in school, learning, growing, (like most of already went through.)

YES, it's normal to view all calendars, and why wouldn't you want people to? It's the purpose of using groupware in an organization! The administrator can alter the permissions of everyone's calendar to allow others to view it, or not view it, alter it, edit it, own it, etc. Also, in Exchange 2000, you can do this with a few clicks of the mouse.

If I may clarify a bit, it's normal for users to be able to see Free/Busy info about other users, but it is not normal to be able to open another user's calendar object. That permission must be granted manually by an Admin or by the user themself.

Jazzgeek,

I think you should chill out in regards to your comments. They are very tough comments. I am familar with outlook and exchange and unless you are in an environment that likes to do this, this is not the norm. In fact, this is not setup by default. In order for everyone to be able to view someone's calendar the permissions have to be manually edited to include the Default permissions to allow users to be able to view their calendar. Obviously, in Delle's environment, whomever is configuring the outlook is setting up the permissions to manually allow others to be able to view their calendars. I don't see anything wrong with this question and I certainly would not categorize Delle as not being qualified to be in this field. I think lots of people would disagree with your comments. That is what makes this site so great. It does not matter if someone thinks the question is dumb. This site is for help for any and all opinions. This is the only way we can all become as smart as you.

Delle,

If you want to change this from outlook clients not being able to view each other's calendar you will need to go to each workstation, right click on the "Calendar" and then click on "Properties". Then click on "Permissions". Check to see what the "Role" permissions are. You will need to change it to "none". Once this is done than other outlook clients WILL NOT be able to access the calendar.

good luck and let us know how you make out.

Zoe

Zoe,

I'm sorry you feel that way, but you are a charmer, aren't you. The only reason you feel that way is because you're not having to back-track and fix all these "fake administrators" who mess up their system because they have no tech savvy, and then they call my company to come fix it. I've been with more companies than I care to think about. ALL of them have shared their calendars. That's the PURPOSE of groupware. ;) The fact that he didn't know how to change those permissions means he needs to quit that job, quickly, and go to school. I'm sorry, but I've seen it happen hundreds of times where kids think they are "tech's." It's not fair to the real techs who have to come in an fix their screw-ups. I got an education, and everyone else can to.

Also, you gave him good advice on checking persmissions, but with Exchange 2000, you can do that all with a few clicks of a mouse, for the entire organization all at once. MCSE 4.0, Network+, A+, Web Developer

Jazzgeek,

Like I said not all Companies do that. Not all of us are as smart as you are we? If you find the people from this site offensive to your genius than maybe you should take your genius opinions somewhere else. And thank goodness none of us work for you in the field.

Dont' be so offended. I'm not jumping on you. I'm jumping on kids who ruin their systems and have to call my company to fix it. It's obsurd. I have 63 tech's working for me, so perhaps you are working for me. I'll keep a lookout for you... perhaps you should be in customer service. Sebastian Jazzer
MCSE 4.0, Network+, A+, Web Developer

I will leave this as my last comment. I know what you are saying, however, this site is for answers not critiquing and making an assesment about someone's technical skills. Delle should be able to propose a question like he/she just did and then experts like yourself can help. This is how people learn. Sometimes you can have all the schooling in the world and it may not cover topics such as this. Sometimes the only way is to learn from experience and forums like this. I have worked for 2 Companies where not everyone needed their calendar's shared. The Companies you have setup obviously needed this done. This does not make it the norm however. If it was the norm than outlook would set the permissions up like this by default. Every Company and every environment is different. Depends on what the department heads want and decide on.

Regards,
Zoe

JazzGeek,

If you have 63 Tech's working for you, then you should be pleased that people are messing things up or you would not have a business to run.

Everybody needs to learn.

Lighten up and take a chill pill.. Kind Regards, Paul Benn

**** Never Giveup, keep trying, the answer is out there!!! ****

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back