Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Calendar-Style report using Crystal 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.

rdsigrist

Technical User
Dec 21, 2010
US
thread149-1475890
I have been reading the article by Linda Bass several years ago, on creating a Calendar using Crystal.

The general approach at the time seemed to be to create 7 subreports across and then use a list of dates as a driver. The most complex area seemed to be in manipulating the dates to populate the grid. There also seemed to be a technique using Excel to create the grid and Crystal to fill it.

The last post on this subject was a few years back and I was wondering in Linda ever updated the original article, and download report program.

A few years back, I had spent a lot of time creating special fields like MDay (number for each work day in the year), and WeekNo where the year and week number could be created for any given date based on a 52 or sometimes 53 week year. I am hoping this experience could be useful in developing this report.

I have also heard that it might be possible to use a "label" printing program to generate the 7-across and 5-down printing process. I have also heard that some have tried to use the Cross-Tab report to create the grid as well.

In any case, I would like to see if there has been any progress in simplifying the creation of the Calendar-style report, and if Linda has published a current update on the one she created a few years back.

Dick.

Here is another thought.

Why not create the background for a CALENDAR and save as a .pdf (or as an image). Then insert the graphic as with a transparent background that covers the full page. All of the static data could be brought in as an image. Then create a multi-column report to put the data in the 7 by 5 calendar grid. There is still an issue with getting the data in the correct box with formulas for dates, but it could simplify things a bit.

Another approach - how about using the Label process to print the data in the boxes?

Another question: Can a subreport be positioned with logic. That is can it be moved from box to box programmatically?

Just a thought.

Dick Sigrist

The thread you referenced represents my most recent work on this.

-LB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back