Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Caldera Linux 3.1.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenith

Programmer
Aug 10, 2002
CA
I have Cadera's Openlinux 3.1.1 installed along with, of course, Samba. Everything works as expected - with one exception. When copying a large file, 5 gig, from a windows 2000 machine to a Samba share the message "the specified network name is no longer avaliable" is presented.

The message occurs when 2,147,483,647 bytes have been copied. (With explorer or the "copy" command from the command line.) That I believe was the old maximum file size for Linux. (Prior to Ext2 if I understand correctly.) The documentation I have found thus far indicates that file sizes of 1 TB are permitted under kernel 2.4.xx upward and Ext2. The kernel version I have reports itself as 2.4.13 and the file system confirms as Ext2.

I have been able to generate a file larger than 2 gig with a recursive write from within the Linux environment, as advertised.

Copying a file of that size through Samba seems a different matter.

I have visited Samba.org and found no help with the matter there.

The question: When I appear to fullfill all criterion set forth, why am I not able to copy a file exceeding 2 gig to a samba share?

Any help would be appreciated. Any additional information or detail I have are at your disposal for the asking.

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back