Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Calculator on Excel toolbar?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ech

Instructor
Oct 9, 2001
US
I have the MS Calculator icon on my Excel 2000 toolbar, but I can't remember how I did it. I'd like to add it to another system, but am stumped as to the procedure. I must have read a tip somewhere, done it, but have now forgotten.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

RIGHT click (from start, accessories) and drag the calc icon to office tool bar

Did the posting above mine work for you? If it did ok. I couldn't get it to work for me. But I do have a solution if you still need it.

To pcdaveh: No the right dragging did not work to get the calculator on the toolbar. Another way?

Yes there is a way to do this. Create a blank button on the toolbar. View ---> Toolbars ---> Customize. Under the commands tab go to the categories window and choose Macro.
The right side of the dialog box will have Commands. choose Custom button and drag it to the tool bar. With the toolbars box still open Righ click on the button you just put added to the toolbar. Go down to Assign Hyperlink. and choose browes. Point to the calculator.exe in whatever folder it resides. That should do it.

Wow!...I'm amazed the right click dragging didn't work?!?
I'm using win 2k and office 2k...could be the reason?
any way......

How bout on the office tool bar, right click, then customize, then buttons tab, then add file, browse the path to your calc.exe

At a guess I'd say right click and drag didn't work because they're using win95. Right clicking onthe start menu's is only supported in active desktop.

pcdavah: Yep, that worked, although it warns me of virus possibility and I have to click OK to get it open. That's not what I did before... the one I already have opens right up and the tool tip says calculator instead of the link to calc.exe. Maybe I'll eventually find the article I read with the other instructions. In the meantime, thanks!

How bout on the office tool bar, right click, then customize, then buttons tab, then add file, browse the path to your calc.exe

I am using Active Desktop, Win 98 and Office 2000. I "thought" the right drag was what I did originally, but it sure isn't working now for that task.

After reading this post, I set out to try to add calc.exe to my menu bar in Excel. So I followed the example of:

View ---> Toolbars ---> Customize. Under the commands tab go to the categories window and choose Macro.
The right side of the dialog box will have Commands. choose Custom button and drag it to the tool bar. With the toolbars box still open Righ click on the button you just put added to the toolbar. Go down to Assign Hyperlink. and choose browes. Point to the calculator.exe in whatever folder it resides.

Now, that worked but heres the problem, you can't delete it!

Sure you can delete it... at least I can. Once the Tools, Customize window is open, just drag the icon you no longer want off the toolbar. Gone...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back