Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Calculation Wizard - User Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrSmyth

Technical User
Jul 16, 2003
GB
Hi, just used the calculation wizard for the first time and it seems to have a lot of potential. I've tried taking a look at the Business Objects User guide section on this tool and to be honest it's a bit sh!te....

Has anybody seen a good source on this tool (or any source that has more info than the BO User guide).

Smyth

Well the PDF does give a decent outline on the options and if you want more info on some options of the screen then drop a note....

Sri

OK I'm really after a bit more information on a couple of aspects, first one is the choice of level of calculation, I'm a bit confused as to whjether to use Globally or by more than one objects - and if i select an object for the more than objects choice, what happens to the other objects i select.

I'm also finding difficulty getting my head around synchroniseing my calculation and setting the number of values to compare.

I have read the pdf and perhaps i'm just being a bit slow, but i just can't seem to fully understand what they're getting at....

Thanks to anyone who can help me out here, i'm usually such a bright young lad but seem to currently be walking around with my head up my rear!!!!!

1. Level of Calculation.
It basically to tell what Agg Fn will be applied to the Inner Query object...
2. Globally or more than one object..
When you say the calculation to be done Globally or more than one objects... In the first case the kinda of query that BO generates will be a ordinary Subquery... When you say Globally then the Subquery will have only one row of result of execution...
Code:
Eg:
    Column = (SELECT MAX(Col) FROM TABLEA)
But when you say by objects and select say col2 then the object will be calculated for each of the object you selected....
Code:
Eg:
    Column = (SELECT MAX(Col) FROM TABLEA GROUP BY Col2)
3. The last option Synchronize what says what kinda of query BO will create... If you choose Independently then it will be ordinary subquery and the Inner Query will be executed only once and its results will be used by the Outer Query... If you select For Each value then BO creates the Correlated Subquery where the Subquery executes for each value from the Outer Query....

One last point is you should be comfortable with SQL which will help to relate to the query that BO might generate...

Hope I've not confused you further...

Sri

That's great Sri, thanks for the advice. I know a little bit of sql but it's only stuff that i've picked up along the way.

I hear that it's quite an easy lanquage to learn though...

You are welcome and glad to be of assistance... If you need further assistance drop a note...

Sri

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back