Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Calculation in Access Subform using form field and subform field 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fae

Instructor
Nov 28, 2002
US
I need the answer in a field in the subform
on the Form : frmLastReport is a field : Text8
on the Subform : frmLastReportSubform is a field : Text15

i need to calculate : text8 x text15
i have tried different ways of writing it, to no avail
=[Forms]![frmLastReport]![Text8]*[me]![Text15]

Please advise

Miracles we do immediately ...
imposibilities take a little longer.

Try this instead. The answer field is on the subform.

=[Text15] * Forms![frmLastReport]![Text8]

:)WB

Thanks a million - it works !!

Miracles we do immediately ...
imposibilities take a little longer.

Fae, changing data on any table other than the one attached to the form is best accomplished using recordsets. Open a recordset pointing to the table attached to the subform. Update the related record through the recordset. This is vastly more efficient and easier to accomplish than bouncing back and forth between the parent and child forms. A subform can have selected fields disabled or locked to prevent the user from changing the data; however, the recordset is not bound by the field properties of a form. When I first learned to use Access, I created subforms only for the purpose of updating another table. I would make the subform invisible. Once I learned how to use recordsets, I rarely used subforms. Instead, I use popup forms when the user requests to see the data (most often assigned to a continuous record form). There is no limit to the number of popup forms which can be made available through a single calling form. Hope this helps.

mac

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back