Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Calculating... shown in taskbar when opening form

Status
Not open for further replies.

annie52

Technical User
Mar 13, 2009
US
I tried searching but ended up with more than 2,000 results.

I have a multi-user database with the BE and FE on the server. Users access the mde FE via a shortcut on their desktop. We've been using this app for nearly 3 years. Recently, I noticed that when I open the FE and click on the cmd button on the menu that takes me to the data entry form, I see "Calculating..." in the taskbar. The message stays for many seconds but doesn't seem to impair performance. This also happens with each of the three tabbed subforms when I move to a new record. Any ideas? Should I be concerned?

IF your question is why, after three years, has this suddenly appeared, my guess would be that something has increased the loading times for the Forms in question. Forms with multiple Subforms can be slow to load, depending on manipulations/calculations that are being performed. And as time has gone by, you have probably appreciably increased the number of Records and hence the amount of Data you're dealing with, also possibly increasing processing time. If performance isn't impaired I wouldn't worry about it.

I am concerned with your statements

"I have a multi-user database with the BE and FE on the server. Users access the mde FE via a shortcut on their desktop."

This sounds as if you have both the FE and the BE on the server and that users are opening a single Front End. This sort of scenario can cause Corruption and all kinds of other problems! Each user should have a copy of the Front End on their hard drives; they should not be sharing a single Front End.

The really bad thing about this kind of setup, if, in fact, it's how you're running this thing, is that they can run perfectly for extended periods of time before the problems star. But once problems arise they almost always become chronic, occurring over and over agin, until the app is set up correctly.

The Missinglinq

Richmond, Virginia

There's ALWAYS more than one way to skin a cat!

Interesting. This is my first time using an mde file as the front end. In the past, my users always had their own copy of an mdb front end. It was actually someone in the IT department that suggested I keep an mde front end on the server and simply point my users to that file.

Anyone here will tell you that the 'someone in the IT department' doesn't have any idea what he's talking about! But the IT people seldom do when it comes to Access!

The Missinglinq

Richmond, Virginia

There's ALWAYS more than one way to skin a cat!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back