Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Calculating Average Score

Status
Not open for further replies.

bangsmic

Technical User
Oct 22, 2001
US
Goal: To take a 0-5 evaluation rating score for 12 instructor feedback questions and then divide that score by the number of questions (12 max) that had a rating of 1-5. The rating score of zero in this example indicates a N/A for the question. so...if one of the questions was scored n/a or 0 it should not be part of the calculation.

For example: 12 questions answered, all were a 5. Equals 60 points. 60/12=overall rating of 5 (on a 1-5 scale). 11 questions answered, all were a 5. 1 questions was rated n/a or 0. Equals 55 points. 55/11=overall rating of 5 (on a 1-5 scale).

Table structure: tblData
Fields include Q1, Q2, Q3, etc., which represent the score for each question in the record. Reviewing other posts, I suspect this may be my first problem. What is a better way to capture?

Problem: How to write the query to generate the answer outline in the goal above.

You might want to look at the structure of At Your Survey. If you can't change your structure like this, you can create a normalizing union query that allows you to average results. Your tblData structure doesn't seem to have a primary key so I can't tell you the SQL of the query.

Duane
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back