Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

calculating age from ms sql table 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

patrichek

MIS
Nov 18, 2003
US
Hi,
I'm getting my [PatientDateOfBirth] from a table in MS SQL 2000 db. Its stored as 19600227 (yyyymmdd). i've tried several formats but Im' receiving "error" in my query. Any advice?

here's what i've been trying:

Code:
Int((DateDiff('d',[PatientDateOfBirth],Date())/365.25))

and

Code:
Age=DateDiff("yyyy", [PatientDateOfBirth], Now())+ _
            Int( Format(now(), "mmdd") < Format( [PatientDateOfBirth], "mmdd") )

neither have worked for me. the second code i was getting an error on the underscore and "Int" part...

thanks!

Use CDate(Left([PatientDateOfBirth],4) & '-' & Mid([PatientDateOfBirth],5,2) & '-' & Right([PatientDateOfBirth],2))

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ181-2886

HI PHV,
thanks for your reply. My original question was how to get the age from the date of birth? What you gave me formats it mm/dd/yyyy

thanks!

i tried this one too (Posted by PHV) and it didn't work.
Code:
DateDiff("yyyy",[PatientDateOfBirth],Date())+(Format([PatientDateOfBirth],"mmdd")>Format(Date(),"mmdd"))

DateDiff("yyyy",CDate(Left([PatientDateOfBirth],4) & "-" & Mid([PatientDateOfBirth],5,2) & "-" & Right([PatientDateOfBirth],2)),Date())+(Format(CDate(Left([PatientDateOfBirth],4) & "-" & Mid([PatientDateOfBirth],5,2) & "-" & Right([PatientDateOfBirth],2)),"mmdd")>Format(Date(),"mmdd"))

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ181-2886

Hi PHV,
I made it work by using this: (i think!)

Code:
SELECT dbo_PatientMaster.PatientFirstName, dbo_PatientMaster.PatientLastName, Mid([ApptDate],5,2) & "/" & Right([ApptDate],2) & "/" & Left([ApptDate],4) AS [Appointment Date], dbo_ApptMaster.ApptTime, dbo_ApptMaster.ApptDoctor, dbo_ApptMaster.ApptComment, dbo_ApptMaster.ApptPhone, Mid([PatientDateofbirth],5,2) & "/" & Right([PatientDateofbirth],2) & "/" & Left([PatientDateofbirth],4) AS DOB, dbo_PatientMaster.PatientClassCode, Int(Year(Now())-Year([DOB])+(Month(Now())-Month([DOB]))/12+(Day(Now())-Day([DOB]))/365.25) AS Age
FROM dbo_ApptMaster INNER JOIN dbo_PatientMaster ON dbo_ApptMaster.ApptAccountNumber = dbo_PatientMaster.PatientAccountNumber
WHERE (((Mid([ApptDate],5,2) & "/" & Right([ApptDate],2) & "/" & Left([ApptDate],4))=[Forms]![VisionarySXSubFrm]![txtDate]) AND ((dbo_ApptMaster.ApptDoctor)=[Forms]![VisionarySXSubFrm]![DoctorCbo]))
ORDER BY dbo_ApptMaster.ApptTime;

Code:
strDate = "19600227"
? DateSerial(Left(strDate, 4), Mid(strDate, 5, 2), Right(strDate, 2))
2/27/1960

as a minor variation - just to show the conversion of the string to the date formatted numeric value.

Also please do a search for DOB and AGE in these (Tek-Tips) fora. There are a large number of threads purporting to accomplish this. Most do not work correctly in some range, usually when the "Age" is quite small.

These "errors" are mostly from the obscure methodology employed in the (Intrinsic) DateDiff function. It (DateDiff) only counts the boundary values between the two date objects. Thus:

Code:
? DateDiff("d", #12/31/05#, #1/1/06#)
? DateDiff("m", #12/31/05#, #1/1/06#)
? DateDiff("y", #12/31/05#, #1/1/06#)
illustrating the curious math of "boundary" values in computing intervals.

not to pick on PHV, but I loosley translated his procedure into a VBA procedure:
Code:
Public Function basDOB2Age_PHV(strDate As String) As Long

basDOB2Age_PHV = DateDiff("yyyy", CDate(Left(strDate, 4) _
                   & "-" & Mid(strDate, 5, 2) & "-" _
                   & Right(strDate, 2)), Date) _
                   + (Format(CDate(Left(strDate, 4) _
                   & "-" & Mid(strDate, 5, 2) & "-" _
                   & Right(strDate, 2)), "mmdd") > Format(Date, "mmdd"))

End Function

with the following results:
Code:
? basDOB2Age_PHV("19600227")
strDate = "19600227"

? basDOB2Age_PHV(CStr(strDate))

? basDOB2Age_PHV(Format(Date - 1, "yyyymmdd"))

? basDOB2Age_PHV(Format(Date + 1, "yyyymmdd"))
, the LAST of which is particularly "interesting"

So, again, PLEASE do the search for the DOB and AGE things and study the plethora of approaches wto find THE one which actually works for ALL cases.

(p.s. then post that soloution here - again for the rest of us)

MichaelRed

Hi MR,
I did do the search and tried a bunch of variations, i wasn't having much luck, that's why i asked here :)

thanks for the input

It may seem that the DateDiff() function should return Age based on Date of Birth (DOB) and a user-specified date. However, there's a problem with that solution since the DateDiff("yyyy"....) merely subtracts one year from another.

To accurately return age in years,we must know whether the month/day portion of the target date is >= than that of the DOB. We can add a boolean statement that examines month/days of the two dates and returns -1 (false) or 0 (true) to indicate if the month/day of the target date meets or exceeds that of the DOB. Here's an example:

Code:
x = 19600227
y = dateserial(left(x, 4), mid(x, 5,2), right(x, 2))
? y
2/27/60 
Age = DateDiff("yyyy", y, date()) +  (date() < DateSerial(Year(date()), Month(y), Day(y)))
? age
HTH - Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back