Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Calculated Filename linking

Status
Not open for further replies.

0ddball

Technical User
Nov 6, 2003
GB
Hi there. I have a problem and I don't have the skills to fix it yet. I think the answer lies in VB, but I've never used the language, so its about time I started :)

Here's the problem:

I would like to create a links to two workbooks, both containing different data regarding my subject. All the workbooks have conventional names along the lines of:

<cohort> ::= <year><year>
<test> ::= "SATS"|"SPAR"
<filename> ::= <cohort><test>".xls"

(ie "20002007SATS.xls") generated by a piece of software. I would like my users to type the cohort into a cell and have the sheet link to the correct workbooks and sheets therein.

Looking at it - sounds quite hard actually ;S

Gods, my BNF is appaling too - I'm not having a good day :D

I think you may need to explain this again - personally I'm definitely struggling to understand what you are trying to do.

And what do you mean by cohort?

Well I think I get cohort, but I concur that I am confused. Cohort appears to have two variables. Could you explain a little more? The user inputs what? From the filename example, it seems that two cohorts are in the filename, or is one cohort = 20002007?

Gerry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back