Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Calculated Field Creation (Subtraction of VARCHAR data possible?) Cognos 7.3

Status
Not open for further replies.

pjewett

MIS
Feb 1, 2006
US
Hi All

(Using Cognos 7.3 Admin)

Not exactly a newbie to Cognos anymore really but have not created "Calculated Fields" yet but need to and have run into a problem.

I need to create a simple calculated field that will subtract a "received quantity" field from an "order quantity field" in one of our db's. However this information is ingested each night from our financial db into a table in our "biblio" db and the fields are varchar. I assume this is why I'm not seeing a way to subtract these fields in the "available components" list when I try to create the calculated field.

Is there a way I can "cast" these fields as numbers or otherwise "fool" Cognos into seeing them as numbers so I can subtract them?

Trying to avoid changing the table itself as it would involve changes in sprocs & other reporting.

Any help would be MUCH appreciated.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back