Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

calculated control

Status
Not open for further replies.

loneranger27

Programmer
Apr 22, 2003
US
Hi,

I have a text box with the following in the control source
=round([text29]/count([itemcount])*5),1)

[itemcount] is the number of boxes of that item and there are 5 items in each box.

the problem I am having is that sometimes the count field will should be null so that nothing is counted but when the field is null i get div by 0 error is there a way to tell it that if [itemcount]=0 then itemcount=1 so i dont get a div by 0 error or is there another way.

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks

Maybe I'm not seeing this correctly, but isn't there something wrong with the formula? Specifically with the "count([itemcount])" part?

Since Count is a function, won't counting the # of [itemcount] fields and multiplying by 5 always yield 5?

I am assuming that the [itemcount] field is numerical. So wouldn't it be "([itemcount]*5)"?

Or maybe I'm just not understanding.

That still doesn't solve the divide by zero problem, but I thought I should raise this anyway.

Tom

Further to my other post, I don't know whether or not this gives you what you want. But when I first read your post I thought about some IIf formula that would give a 1 if the [itemcount] field was 0.

This will do that...
=round([text29]/(IIf([itemcount]=0,1,[itemcount]*5)),1)

The only difficulty is that, when the [itemcount] field is 0, the 1 yields the same # in the formula field as exists in the [text29] field.

However, maybe this points to something you can use. Like replacing the 1 with "out of stock" or something.

Tom

If you would sooner not have the [text29] number show up in the calculated text box, and would sooner always have a 1 show up there if the [itemcount] field is 0, then this would do that...

=round([text29]/(IIf([itemcount]=0,[text29],[itemcount]*5)),1)

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back