Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Calculate a running total based on the value of two colums

Status
Not open for further replies.

caomhim

Technical User
Feb 18, 2002
GB
I hope the title makes sense. I need to know how to subtract the value of one row and column from another.
I have a Access db with a table listing of employee holiday entitlement. A record of how many days holidays taken is kept in another table. The two tables are related by employee ID. How can I subtract the number of holidays taken way from an employees holiday entitlement so as to give me a running total of holiday entitlement the employee has left?

First create a query like that:

SELECT HolidayTaken.EmployeNO, Sum(HolidayTaken.DayTaken) AS SumOfDayTaken
FROM HolidayTaken
GROUP BY HolidayTaken.EmployeNO;

then the second query like this:

SELECT Employees.EmployeeID, Employees.LastName, Employees.FirstName, [Employees]![HolidayEentitlement]-[TotalTaken]![SumOfDayTaken] AS DayLeft
FROM Employees INNER JOIN TotalTaken ON Employees.EmployeeID = TotalTaken.EmployeNO;

Jean-Paul
Montreal
mtljp2@sympatico.ca

Many thanks JPMontreal. I tried out the first query but couldn't remember how to nest the second query. Below you'll see the nested query I wrote, but could not get it to run.

SELECT Absence.AbEmpno, Sum(Absence.Duration) AS SumOfDuration
FROM Absence
GROUP BY Absence.AbEmpno;
(SELECT Employees.EmpRefNo, Employees.EmpLname, Employees.EmpFname, [Employees]![HEntitlement]-[Absence]![SumOfDuration] AS DaysLeft
FROM Employees INNER JOIN Absence ON Employees.EmpRefNo = Absence.AbEmpno;
)

Not sure that I'm correct though. Please can you advise.
once again - many thanks!!
Caomhim

Create a new query.
Add the two tables.
Join employee id if it is not already done.
Bring down employee ID from the holiday entitlement table.
In a new field enter the following:

HolidayLeft:[HolidayEntitlement]-[HolidayTaken]

If you have any questions, please let me know.

Thanks.

gormcd

Hello GormCd

Many thanks for your assistance. I tried what you suggested. It worked but it subtracted the Holidays Taken was subtracted from Holiday Entitlement for each instance of a holiday taken. (If what I am saying makes any sense).Whats needed is for a query which adds up all the holiday taken and then takes this cumulative sum away from the employees holiday entitlement. Grateful if any one can advise.

regards
Caomhim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back