Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Calculate a percentage then store the results in another table

Status
Not open for further replies.

skd2726

MIS
Jul 2, 2002
US
I have 2 tables:

PurchaseOrderTbl & LineItemTbl

PurchaseOrderTbl contains information on each PO like vendor, total amount, etc. etc.

LineItemTbl contains information on each line item of the purchase order - I need this separated because different line items can be charged to different work order numbers. I need to be able to run a report each month by work order number to get all of the material charge to the work order number. The user will enter a total amount for the purchase order in the PurchaesOrderTbl and then break out the cost for the work orders in the LineItemTbl

Example:

Purchase Order #123 is for $100

That $100 is then charged to:

WorkOrderNumber 1 - 20%
WorkOrderNumber 2 - 80%

Then store the calculated amount ($20.00 & $80.00) in the field LineItemAmount in the LineItemTbl

(I need access to calculate the Line Item amount) i.e. LineItemAmount = $20.00 (purchase order total amount from PurchaseOrderTble * percentage from LineItemTbl entered by the user)

I don't mean to ramble - just want to draw a clear picture.

Here are two queries for you to mess with. The first one computes the Amounts and Percentages allocated to each workorder within each purchase order.
Code:
SELECT O.OrderNumber, O.WorkOrderNumber, 
       Sum(O.Amount) AS [WOAmount], 

((Sum(O.Amount) * 100) / 
        (SELECT Sum(L.Amount) FROM OrderLines As L
         WHERE L.OrderNumber = O.OrderNumber)) AS [Percent]

FROM OrderLines AS O
GROUP BY O.OrderNumber, O.WorkOrderNumber;
This second query just flips it around and computes the Amounts and Percentages that come from each Purchase Order that contributed to a WorkOrder
Code:
SELECT O.WorkOrderNumber, O.OrderNumber, 
       Sum(O.Amount) AS [POAmount], 

((Sum(O.Amount) * 100) / 
        (SELECT Sum(L.Amount) FROM OrderLines As L
         WHERE L.WorkOrderNumber = O.WorkOrderNumber)) AS [Percent]

FROM OrderLines AS O
GROUP BY O.WorkOrderNumber, O.OrderNumber
I suggest that this approach may be preferable to storing computed results in your tables but you will need to make that decision based on your own business environment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back