Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CAL not installing Res on a WS5 - Micros 3700 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macrich70

Technical User
Sep 19, 2016
IT
Hello,
I want to install res on a WS5 but, after CAL configuring, nothing happens.

These are the steps done:

formatting the CF
start CAL, server located as well as the list of clients
after choosing the client IP, the CAL stops and nothing happens, no message, no errors

I've tried the same with another WS for sure working, same steps, but same result.

The servers runs Window Server 2008, the WS runs Windows CE. Res should be last year version, not sure what.
The server has to LAN boards, one is on Micros LAN, the other one should be to the internet server

I know that it could be a lot of reasons, but there is someone suggesting whichever?
Thanks in advance

When the CAL Server selection comes up, you must point to the LAN Node that is for the MICROS LAN, not for the internet

This is what I have done.
Of course I have selected the server IP and then the client IP, which are shown at the beginning of CAL.
The problem is that the CAL doesn't go on and not install Res on the WS.
Again, no error, no message, nothing happens.
On Pos control panel I can see the client connected, of course the system is Front of House.

Checked windows Firewall, is off
the antivirus is one, also tried after switching it off.

Fortunately, other clients work fine but if I reconfigure it, the same happens, so I don't want to try with another one (2 WS are blocked).

rbran meant to make sure the server IP is the one for the Micros subnet, not the one that accesses the internet. I know that on my systems, when I select the server it always defaults to the internet IP, not the 192.168.100.xxx subnet.

Also, when you select a workstation from the list you'll get a screen confirming the name and IP before running the install. Try deleting the gatway IP from this screen. I've had issues with that before.

Thank you for suggestions, however also this way doesn't work.

I've disabled the internet LAN, leaving only the Micros one, disable the antivirus and the firwall, delete the gateway before running to install.
Still not installing...
I really don't know what could it be..

Counter check the machine name with the one at the MDShost file

Checked the MDShost file as well, it's right, for all WS.
I really don't understand: it seems that, even the server can see the ws, and the WS see the server, the sending of files is blocked.

The problem is with 2 ws that were formatted and reconfigured.

Thank you again for all your suggestions.

What version of 3700 are you using and whats your call version to?

Hi,
Micros 3700
Res 5.2
WS5
Windows Server 2008
CAL on WS 7.1.3.xx

Macrich I have run into similar issues before and my solution was to clone the disk image of a working machine and put it into the machine that would not CAL off its existing disk image and then run CAL from the cloned drive and reconfig to the right workstation settings. Sounds like a lot of work but really it isnt and you also get the benefit of having a backup image to restore from if another workstation konks out.

I am having similiar problem, but I noticed when running second part of cal (workstation identity) sw to install is ws4res and not ws5res. how can we make that option appear? I was at at site last week and it had choice for both selected ws5res loaded no problem

Hi Wewantphil,
thank you for suggestion.
Do you mean that I have to copy all the disk of a working WS (or the Micros folder only) and paste it to the other WS, cancelling all old files?

Could I copy the drive on a usb drive and run Cal from there?

Hi macrich70,
What I am suggesting is removing the cf card from a known working ws5 , putting it into a cf card adapter on a computer and the using something like Rufus on windows or dd on mac to create an iso image of the drive and the us the same program to write that image onto the cf card from the ws5 that will not CAL correctly. I have done the several times successfully. Once the newly cloned cf card is installed back into the ws5 that is acting up, you can run CAL to reconfig to the right workstation from the list....

Hi wewantphil,
finally I could copy the file as you suggested (the hotel was open and I cannot make it before).
Anyway, when I reconfigure CAL by setting the right server and WS, nothing happens as well.

I really don't understand... It seems that nothing comes from the server to reconfigure the WS.
I've tried also with a formatted CF.
Another suggestion?

This sounds like an issue with the network firewall and not the Windows firewall. I would see if you could temporarily open up all the ports or disable your network firewall and see if this makes a difference.

Thank you mrunowho,
I would agree with you, anyway it seems there is no network firewall: on the server I can only see the windows firewall and it has all Micros services and application allowed.
I don't think that there is a hardware firewall as well.
Maybe the problem is on the server itself?
A technician suggested to remake all the server, like the first installation. I hope to avoid this.

Thanks again

Sorry for the delay in response. Have you verified that you can reCAL any WS5 from your server? I have also seen before where the server does not have all of the right files in the specific workstation version directory on the server side... seems like the only other thing you can check if you can clone a working CF card to another workstation yet you cannot reCAL. Puzzling.

Hi,
when I had the problem the first time with a WS5, I tried to reCAL another one that surely works, but also with this ws reCAL doesn't work.
Now I have two WS not usable (of 7). Of course I did not try with a third one and I don't want to do it.
I also tried with the CF cloning, as suggested, with no success. Let me say that after cloning, all the files are copied on the ws but the configuration of the it stopped after choosing the node (it should follow with the RES installation).
In my opinion the reasons could be two:

- some file on the server missed (most probably)
- something on the net (even if I tried to connect the ws to the server lan board with a cross cable but also no success)

This is the system we have:
Micros 3700
Res 5.2
WS5
Windows Server 2008
CAL on WS 1.1.3.xx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back