Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cajun p550 console port issue 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

gdp100

Technical User
Jan 31, 2003
US
We have just received a used Cajun P550 with a layer 2 sup card. The previous owner did not remove their config. We need to access the switch from the console port to reset the config back to factory default, and are not able to get it to show the prompt when using hyperterm. We have several other P550's and are able to access them using the DB9 connectors and the straight thru cable that came with those P550's. Anyone have any ideas we could try to get the config back to factory default without having to get connected thru the console port?

I actually work with the fellow who posted this message. We have gotten the correct console cable, and have 'reset' the passwords. HOWEVER, does anynone know how to reset the entire switch back to factory defaults? This switch is configured to the high heavens, and instead of going through each config, it would be MUCH easier to start from scratch.

'If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving isn't for you.'

Scratch the whole thread, we got it all figured out! <|:)

Did you succeed in reseting the entire switch? If so, please let me know.

I have the same problem as above.
If you managed to fix it, any chance of a hint?
I have a logon appear and am then unable to type anything in. Any clues?

How do you actually get into the switch. I have one with a password on it. When I use the console cable can I just type in Reset or do I need to reset the password first? And if so how do I do that?

Thanks

Sorry to leave you guys hanging for so long. Haven't been on the boards for quite a while. The posts on this thread are pretty old, but I will go ahead and reply so that it's out there - cause Lucent's documentation is terrible (at least on these switches).

WARNING: this restores the switch back to factory defaults!!! You will lose the entire config!!!

- Connect to the console port with PC or laptop of choice.
(I'm going to assume you know how to connect to the console)
- Power down the switch
- Press and HOLD the 'Display Menu' button located on the Sup Mod
- Power up the switch (while still holding the 'Display Menu' button)
- This boots the switch into a 'boot mode', the prompt on the console should look like "Boot>"
- Type the command "nvram init" and hit enter
- It will warn you and ask you to confirm (y/n)
- Type 'y' and press enter
At this point either power down the switch and then power it back up, or at the prompt type the command 'reset' and hit enter.

Login is, username: root, password: root
There is NO password to get into 'enable' mode.

We've bought probably 10 of the P550s off of ebay and this process has worked every time.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back