Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Caching problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fumac

Programmer
Jan 2, 2001
SE
I have built a page wich you can upload picture to. Everything works exept that it open pictures from the cached files. So if i upload a picture named hello.jpg, delete it and upload another picture with the same name, it will show the old picture.
I use <META http-equiv=\&quot;pragma\&quot; content=\&quot;no-cache\&quot;> but it still cache information!
In Explorer I only have to reload the page but in Netscape I first have to delete the cached information and then reload the page. I´m no expert in perl programming so it might be an easy way to solve this, I don´t know. If you know what it is I´m trying to describe and got an solvation, I would be happy to hear your comments.

Thanks!

It caches it on the user's browser, so there is no Perl solution to this problem. The meta tag you are trying to use only works with proxies, and not browsers.

Caches do expire you know... How many times are people going to see your image and then return right after you change it? How often are you going to change it? If either of these frequencies are low, then the only one who is ever going to get a cached image is the developer who is testing it! There is really nothing you can do about it anyway, so just comfort yourself with the above point.

If you really needed to have high frequency of changing images, then I would have to suggest you use a Java applet. I can't believe I just said that... only use that solution in the most dire of circumstances.
[sig]<p> Sincerely,<br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= Anderson</a><br>CEO, Order amid Chaos, Inc.<br>
[/sig]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back