Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

caching of Java classes

Status
Not open for further replies.

liorza

Programmer
Mar 3, 2004
US
Hi guys,
I noticed that I have to restart Tomcat each time I am modifying a java class. I am guessing that Tomcat is caching these files.

Can Tomcat be configured to stop caching class files?
I am aware that it will affect performance but it is just for the development period.
I am using Tomcat 5.0.16.

Thanks
Lior

This will work, but a couple of warnings. If you do this in production, and publish out a new class. The entire web app you publish to is reloaded. If a user is in the middle of a request, it will fail. It also creates overhead on a production server. Good for development, but I would not run this in production.

Paul

I agree, I am using it only during developing phaze.

Thanks for the tip.

Lior

Hey,

I am using Tomcat 3.2.4 on IIS and I seem to be having this same problem. When I make a change and recompile, my changes don't take effect until I stop and start Tomcat.

I have tried by putting by setting a Default context, reloadable = true but that doesn't seem to work. Any ideas of what I can try because it's really getting to be time consuming to have to stop and start while I'm
developing.

Any ideas, I would surely appreciate it?

Thanks,

JD

I don't think this is a) possible in tomcat 3, or b) actually works.

Move to tomcat 5 - tomcat 3 is well out of date now, and is seriously lacking in perfomance compared to tomcat 5.

PS, please don't post a question in one post, and then start a new one with the same content, cheers.

--------------------------------------------------
Free Database Connection Pooling Software

Hey SEDJ,

Sorry about the duplicate question, my bad.

I am looking into upgrading but we have other things installed that are using Tomcat 3.2.4 and aren't supported by some versions of Tomcat. Could you tell me what version the class reloading starts at?

Thanks,

JD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back