Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cached pictures from USB stick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

g33man

Programmer
Dec 22, 2006
CA
Hello,
I used my wife's Surface Pro (Win 8) the other day to look at some holiday pictures stored on a USB memory stick. Once done, I 'Ejected' the stick using the standard Windows process. Then, the next day, I was using the tablet again, went into the Pictures app, and there were my pictures from the USB stick!
By default, does Win 8 copy/cache pictures from external storage? Could this be OneDrive at work, since the tablet has Office 365 installed?

Thanks,
Mike

It depends what the default setting is for Autoplay for USB drives, if she's chosen an option to synch any images, then that's what it will do.

Robert Wilensky:
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.

Hi, and thanks for the reply. I've Googled "windows 8 autoplay sync" but found nothing related to this. Could you direct me to where this setting can be found?
Thanks.

Done. This brought up the option of 'Autoplay Settings", which I opened. In Win 8, this is a very simple screen. There are three different settings:

Use AutoPlay for all media and devices
ON
Removable drive
Open folder to view files
Memory card
<blank>

This does not feel like we are on the right path. However, I do appreciate the suggestions.
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back