Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cache Buffer Utilization 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

glhahn

IS-IT--Management
Sep 8, 2001
US
Consider the following on a Novell Netware 4.11 server w/ 128meg Ram runing on a 350Mhz PII w/ a 8 gig SYS: volume and a 6 gig second volume. There is also a Netware 5.0 and 4.10 Server on the wire.

From the General Information Screen.

Dirty Cache BUffers 377
Max Service Processes 50
Current Service Processes 50
Open File 67
(I am the only person logged in, I have 3 files open)

From the Cache Utilization Statistics Screen.

Short Term Cache Hits 100%
Short Term Dirty Cache Hits 100%
Long Term Cache Hits 99%
Long Term dirty Cache Hits 99%
LRU Sitting Time 2:39:20:12
Allocated Block Count 127,427,839
Allocated From available 4,424,589
Allocated From LRU 123,002,251
Too Mant Dirty Blocks 184,397

Two others pieces of information, Cache utilization is 65% and the server is running on synthetic time. The server is somewhat sluggish but not bad. The server has locked up twice in the last few months. The first time it jumped 11 years (that is its time date setting) into the future, hence the synthetic time. The second occured after I changed Max Server Processes from 50 to 100.

Aside from having to correct the synthetic time any thoughts as to what's going on here?

Thanks

First off, I would say that you need more Memory!!!

From the NetWare Console Monitor, select SYSTEM RESOURCES.
What is the Cache Buffer % ??? If its anywhere near 50% or below, you REALLY need more memory.

As far as Service Processes, you definitely need to allocate more than 50 to allow the Server to function correctly.

How about Packet Receive Buffers... what is your Miniumum and Maximum Packet Receive Buffers configured for? What is the amount that is currently allocated?

What version of the Support Pack do you have installed?

Considering the you are at 99% Cache hits... I'd say memory is really what you need most of all!

Good Luck!

Agreed, try an upgrade to 512Mb instead of 256Mb -----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

In philosophy I agree, memory is very good thing. However, this server has been in production since 9/99, never had a problem, nothing has changed, not even the number of users. The problem began when the system decided to jumped into the future 11 years. To answer your questions: as I noted cache buffer %=65%. Minimum packet receive buffers=50, maximum=1000, allocated=89. The server is patched to SP9. I think the problem is definitely related to synthetic time being issued on the server. I agree with your advice that server processes should be greater than 50. I'm reluctant to increase that again however since last time I did the server promptly locked up. If I restart the server, active process will return to 0 and then slowy creep back up again over a period of time. It's as if once a process completes it is not being released. In a way the same is true of open files. I don't believe 67 files are open, but perhaps their file handles have not been released. I'm leaning towards this all being related to synthetic time. any thoughts?

What if you were to modify your AUTOEXEC.NCF to set your max Service Processes to 250? Maybe that will bump it up to what you need. I know that your sluggishness is due to not having enough Service Pocesses allocated.

What else are you running on this Server? Applications, Resources, etc... ?

As far as open files... look at your connection information and see who/what is logged in and keeping files open.

As far as synthetic time, is this Server configured to be Primary, Reference, or Secondary? Are you basing the Servers time from the Hardware Clock? There is a SET PARAMETER relating to the Hardware Clock.

If this is the Primary, then IT should be able to have its Time and DATE set and all other Servers will referencing it.

If you don't have any of your Server setup to be Primary, then configure one! Configure the other Server SET TIME SOURCE parameter to look to this Server!

Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back