Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cache and developing problem 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

brownfox

Programmer
Jan 5, 2003
GB
Hi I'm fairly new to asp.net. I've installed it on apache2 and things like:
Code:
<%
response.write(DateTime.Now.ToString())
%>
work fine. But when I try something a little more complex like trying to connect to sql server 2000 I get application errors. When I try to remove the offending code and save the page the error is still there even though the only code on the page is:
Code:
<%
response.write(DateTime.Now.ToString())
%>
So I gather the page must be being cached? This is frustrating in development phase. How do I stop this?
Thanks in advance!

Are you compiling the application before deploying it, and if so, how?

Need help finding an answer?

Try the Search Facility or read FAQ222-2244 on how to get better results.

No I'm saving the page as .aspx and connecting to it with a browser

I'd suggest reading up on the basics of ASP.NET from:

as there are lots of things you should understand first (such as how to compile applications, how to seperate your code from your HTML and how it differs from the classic asp style that you have used in your examples above).

Once you've understood these, ASP.NET applications may become a bit clearer.

Need help finding an answer?

Try the Search Facility or read FAQ222-2244 on how to get better results.

Thanks - you're right, I've not heard of compiling web based applications, software yes, but backend server code? So I will read on. Thanks for your advice!

OK ca8msm is totally correct, in case any newbies are following this thread, download this: visual web developer 2005 express edition from I know php/mysql but this stuff is a different beast altogether!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back