Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cabling

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxs65

MIS
Feb 28, 2002
US
What is the biggest difference from store bought to hand made patch cords? The cables I have made in the past have lasted, but with Cat5E I'm have no idea on how to test it efficently. What processes are ran on the store bought cables? Can I produce them by hand with the same quality?

I work for a rather large comapny in whch we buy spools of cable and make our own. If you have the right tools for the job making them is just as good (in my opinion) than Belkin.... We also haev a connectivity testing that displays LEDs for the 4 pairs of wires to ensure that a signal is propagated through the line. Also I would never assume with either store prchased or hand made cable that it's good. Do a live test. If you want I can give you the makes and model that I use which have never let me down, human error has though, just like a factory piece of machinery.

I agree! Hand made cables can be made well if you know what you're doing, but I would advise on using a CAT5 tester just to make sure! There's no point in installing a CAT5 network, fully tested, and top of the range hubs and switches if the patch cables don't meet the CAT5 specs! What you then have is very expensive phone cables!!

Chris.
Chris Andrew, CCNA
chrisac@gmx.co.uk

Get the right tools, connectors and cable (not the cheapest ones), practice and test! If this is only for a few cables now and then, the preassembled are the best buy. (The "right" tools are a little pricey)

Good ideas. However, the main physical difference is that factory patch cables are stranded wire. Many times patch cables made in the field are made from solid wire used for cabling. It does work, but will not have the ability to be moved and twisted without disruption as well as stranded wire will. Also, be aware that the modular plugs installed on the end are different for stranded vs solid wire. There are some plugs that claim they function well with either cable style. Just to make it more complicated as we step into the proposed CAT6 arena, the requirements really tighten up.

For me, I make them in the field if need be. Using quality AMP plugs and a quality AMP ratcheting crimp tool. Sometimes you need one slightly longer than you brought, etc. However, I can purchase 7' CAT5 patch cables for under a dollar. My time is worth too much to sit and untwist UTP in the field unless I need to. Also keep in mind that too much untwisting on the wire prior to insertion can cause the cable to not pass NEXT as well as other tests. If you DO make them in the field, definitely scan them with the same equipment used to verify your data network, or you will be the weakest link!

Daron J. Wilson
Telecom Manager
LH Morris Electric, Inc.
daron.wilson@lhmorris.com

I was testing (PentaScanner) a bunch of cables in the garage the other day and the only ones that didn't pass were some factory made patch cords plainly marked CAT5. I think they were made by AESP.

Most modern RJ45 type plugs are rated for either stranded or solid wire. I prefer Panduit plugs. Very nice and snaggless without the stupid boot. I stay away from the AMP stuff since it only works with their tool. Heaven forbid if you get them mixed in with some others...

I would not wire a boat or a piece of machinery with solid wire but for most uses solid wire is fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back