Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cabling for Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

mot98

MIS
Jan 25, 2002
CA
Hi There,

I have just configured an NT 4.0 server and am trying to get it on the network. The cat5 cable I am using is one that I have used on a win9 client connecting it to a hub.

I try and use that cable now for my server, and it keeps on telling me that it can't find the network. I have switched nic cards twice, so I am pretty sure it is not that.

Here is my wiring config

WG,G,WO,BL,WBL,O,WBR,BR

This runs from the server to the HUB.

Am I missing something on this?? Does the wiring for a server have to be different than a workstation???

TIA for any help.. mot98..[peace]

"Where's the beer?"

If the wiring worked for a win9x network it will work for the NT machine.

Do the lights on the NIC and hub light up?

It sounds like you may have a NT configuration problem.

>Does the wiring for a server have
>to be different than a workstation???

No. It is the same.

Both the light on the hub, and the nic card are flashing.

It looks like there is activity on the nic, but it is still not working.

When I run a diagnostic on the adapter through NT. It tells me that the cable is bad..I have tried 4 different cables and they are all saying the same thing???

Not sure what is going on here... mot98..[peace]

"Where's the beer?"

err are you running a x-over cable from the server to the hub? It should be reserved for PC to PC or Hub/Switch to Hub/Switch.
Patch cable should traditionally read:
w/o, o, w/g, b, w/b, g, w/br, b
If your pins were the same at both ends I suppose it might work, but I'm not sure. Anyone correct me?

Gav
A problem with Windows??? Never...

WG,G,WO,BL,WBL,O,WBR,BR = TIA568A
w/o,o,w/g,b,w/b,g,w/br,b = TIA568B

As long as the cable has the same pin-out on both ends it is suitable to connect a PC to a Hub.

If the cable is TIA568A on one end and TIA568B on the other it is a "cross-over" cable and is used to connect a PC to a PC or a Hub to a Hub (without a using "uplink" port).

>Not sure what is going on here...

1. Does a win9x PC work on the same network drop as you are trying to install the NT box?

2. Do the NIC's in the working win9x box and the NT box have the same configurations (10/100, duplex)?

3. What kind of hub (10 hub, 10/100 hub, 10 switch, 10/100 switch)?

4. Run ipconfig /all from a command prompt. What do you get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back