Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cables required to connect through console, aux, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

gbl

MIS
Sep 6, 2001
CA
This topic has been discussed a few times I am sure, but I am confused about how to connect through the console to a router or switch. In Wendell Odom's first edition of CCNA intro Exam Certification Guide, at page 177, he indicates that you connect to the console with a Console cable, also called Rollover cable. This cable uses RJ-45 connectors and jacks. Yet when I read the thread at the writer of the thread asks how to connect to a Cisco 1600 series router without a serial cable as he only has an RJ45 connection and a USB port. The responses to the question both say you need a serial cable that connects to the serial port.
Is there more than one way for console connection or does the 1600 series specifically not use the rollover cable with RJ45 connectors?
Thanks for your help.

GLB,

Not sure if you are asking specifically for a 1600, but in my case I have 2 2512 routers and 1 1924 switch and if I were to console in yes I would use a console cable. Hopefully that helps.

Comptek
A+, Network+

gbl,

I think they were incorrectly using the term "serial" since the console cable connects to the serial port on the computer and on very old Cisco (and other network equipment) the console port was a "serial" port and you needed an adapter to connect a console cable to it.

You can see this on those Cisco/HP hubs you see on Ebay for $9.99 - on the back they do not have a RJ45 port like the Cisco CAT 1900 and other switches and hubs do - it has a "D" serial connector. You put an adapter on it just like you do on the back of your PC and connect the console cable to the RJ45 ports on the adapter.

I am not sure if the Cisco 1600 had RJ45 console port or serial port like the back of the Cisco/HP hubs.

It still uses a console or rollover cable no matter what connector - just depends what adapter you might need.

Hope this helps!

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back