Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cable to CAT5?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jade1001

Technical User
Aug 29, 2001
US
Hi,

I have this cable (coaxial) that is connected to a 15 port hub that feeds internet to them RJ-45 CAT5. The people who use this hub want to upgrade their hub to a switch. The switch (donated to us for free) doesn't have a coaxial connection on it. Its all CAT5. So my problem is, I need to find some kind of signal converter or something that will convert coaxial to CAT5 so I can kill the hub and connect this switch.

I have this broken hub with a coaxial uplink that feeds users CAT5 running about my cubicle. I tore it apart and looked inside to see if I could hotwire a connection. There is some kind of interface card in there that feeds the coaxial signal to the cat5 nodes on this particular hub. So I figure this is going to be harder than I counted on it to be.

This is probably an easy problem for someone out there. I am just not familiar with what all is out there that I can use to solve this problem. Please let me know if you have a solution.

Thanks in advanced,
jade>:):O>

Do you have users on the co-ax network? You say that the co-ax connects to a 15 port hub which your users connect to via CAT5. So, what's the co-ax for? Do you have users on both?

Chris.
Chris Andrew, CCNA
chrisac@gmx.co.uk

jimbopalmer,

Thanks for the URL's. I thought about using the existing hub as a converter. But I wasn't sure if one of those nodes on the 15 port hub could hack that much traffic or if it would create a bottle neck. We have one of those cheapy 15 port Netgear hubs.

I will probably investigate the possibility of using one of those devices presented in those URL's. They appear to take up less space and it also makes it look like I did some work:)

chrisac,
Yes, I have users using this Coaxial but they are using it through two 15 port hubs. All 30 or so users have Ethernet cards in their boxes. They connect to the hub CAT5. The hubs are then fed by Coaxial. I would go all ethernet but the distance from the main feed to the two hubs are more than 150 feet. It is something like 500 feet or so. We had too much signal degredation and is why we have to keep the coaxial. Also, our college were donated two free switches and I got assigned the lovely task of installing them to this studio:) Sorry I didn't explain better the first time round.

Thanks,
jade >:):O>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back