Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cable testers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Can anyone recommend a decent cable tester that will check for shorts, pin to pin, and wire length? I am in the process of revamping my network and need to verify the integrity of the cabling. I'd like to keep the price around $400.

Thanks

Byte Brothers has a decent cheapo ( relatively) tester.

Mike S

Try the Hewlett-Packard model 420 available from Allied or Newark. Super instrument. Give wire map, length, checks for shorts, crosses and etc.

re: message 1-17-2001 from rinnis..the vendor is John Fluke not Hewlett-packard.

Sorry for the confusion...

There are many cheapo cable testers on the market that will check for continuity, polarity, and length. However, if you are installing Category 5 or above cable and want to verify that the cabling and termination devices are adequate to support 100MB or faster service, then you will need to use a more expensive cable scanner such as a Microtest Penta or Fluke DSP4000. These scanners not only check cable continuity, polarity and length, but also test Near and Far end Cross Talk, Attenuation, and other parameters that are necessary to verify that your cables are performing at their specified levels. There are alot of factors that can contribute to the degredation of UTP cable links. Kinks in the cable, excessive bends, untwisting of pairs at termination points, improper pin-outs, to name a few, can prevent the transmission of higher speeds on cables that test "Good" on a low end cable tester.

Well good luck!!I know of one tester made by Progressive Electronics.Tests pin to pin,crossed pairs,shorts ,but not lenth.Also has built in tone sender.Around $200.

Hi, I am new to this forum -- but I use a GREAT cable tester that is under $100.00 -- Ideal's "LinkMaster" (trademark) model 6,002,247 -- Cat. No. 62-200 URL: for one vendor that carries it is:
Let me know if this helps.

D. Parker dparker@tc.umn.edu

MicroTest Pro IT. A little over $400.00. Does wiremapping, identification and length.
Jeff

I haven't lost my mind - I know it's backed up on tape somewhere ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back