Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cable Pair Management

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kwick18

MIS
Jan 29, 2002
US
I have over 25,000 cable pairs going to different buildings and over 5,000 devices.
I have looked at different cable management software packages but all seemed to focus on the network side of cabling and are very expensive. Does anyone know or use a software system that deals with voice pairs only?

Thanks

I'm sure there are products out there but to be honest I maintain my info in an access database. Cable pair are sorted by building and floor and the database references if there is a cross connect to a jack # in the closet. My database also includes all station information with a cable pair designation so I can run a query against a station and find out not only what floor and building it is in but the cable it runs there on and the jack it plugs into. The reference to closet cross connect is what I find invaluable. Say someone calls me and says I need a phone in building 3 floor 7. All I need to do is ask for the closest jack number, pull up the jack up in the database to determine if there is a cross connect and, if there is, I never leave my office. Took me just under a year to get all this data in using my 'spare' time but I've saved myself all kinds of running around. If you want more information on my setup let me know.

Thanks for the info max.
I have somebody putting an access database together for me now. I just know there will be many different times we revamp the data until we get it into a form I like. We have started to convert away from the pre cross connecting cables. When I got here all station cables were punched down on the feeder cables. It became more trouble then what it was worth. Right now we keep all info in 3 ring binders. UGH

I use a product called CAIRS 32 by Unique Communication they are not cheap but were a whole less than many others I looked at. Get in contact with them and they will set you up with a demo version. It is a really nice system and they have great support. Paul
colemanp@chartermi.net

K&R Software works well for me, but it is very expensive.

We have recently purchased Ulticam. It is based on access and includes work orders and such.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back