Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cable modem keeps losing sync. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ariesone

Technical User
Jan 16, 2003
US
My cable modem is a Scientific Atlanta, DPX-110. My service provider is Adelphia.net. I've had a constant problem with the modem losing synchronization anywhere from 10 to 15 times a day. I've spent hours talking to Adelphia's tech support and everything always checks out okay.

I'm running Windows 98 and I'm using ZoneAlarm Pro. I'm beginning to suspect that ZoneAlarm may be part of the problem. When I'm on line everything appears to be working as it should and suddenly my connection is lost and I have to shut down the computer and do a complete reboot to get the cable modem to sync up with the provider (Adelphia.net).

Has anyone experienced this kind of a problem? Any fixes, thoughts, recommendations, etc?

One curious thing happens when the cable company does it's weekly test where the line is interrupted. The cable goes off line and then resyncs itself back up when they complete the test. When I've lost sync, I've tried everything including running "winipcfg" to release and nenew the connection. Nothing seems to work except rebooting.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jerry

while I was a support tech with a cable provider, I found that Zone Alarm would do that often! sometimes more than others. next time it happens, shut down zone alarm and then run winipcfg>select your adaptor> release all>renew all and it should pull another lease on the IP address. often we found that the install of the zone alarm wouldn't even let the customer online until they uninstalled it. when your computer boots up the IP address is renewed before Zone alarm is activated therefore a good IP is recieved. download Norton personal firewall, it seems to work better on cable internet connections becuase of the problem you have.

Zone Alarm is a cause for concern, but just turn it off and see if the problem reappears....I tt, see this everyday as a cable tech....it can be several things....
first, are your pictures in the tv clear? If not, ingress could be the culprit. Especially check the channels 95 and 96 if you have them (they are in the FM radio frequency) and the most affected by poor cabling , loose connectors, bad splitters, dog chews.

Next, are all your connectors tight and is the equipment(splitters, cable, connectors) of professional quality? IE... NOT bought from RadioShack! Please don't get me going on those guys....BTW folks...the whole scam about paying huge sums of money for the "gold" connections and splitters exists just to send the salesmans kids through college! The line run to the modem should only being used for the modem and it should be connected to the first splitter on the line coming from the main feed?

Lastly, open up IE explorer and type in this address 192.168.100.1, this should bring up a diagnostic screen of the modem. Your upstream power should be less than 58dbmv (actaully I like nothing more than 50 since 58 is the max and I like room for temperature changes) and not less than about 40 (too weak and easily subject to noise), downstream signal strength should be more than -5 (minus)5, the carrier to noise (C/N) should be a number greater than 23 for most modems, but I like anything above 32 since 23 is the lowest you can usually go without continuous sync loss.

I really hope this may help get you started in the right direction. You say you have been online to tech support, but you probably need a service call to have your house wire checked. We usually don't charge for visits unless it is something the customer has done since the time of install (adding the aforementioned RadioShack, Home Depot, Wallmart...ect. low quality equipment) to their house wire... I actually only charge those people that are rude to me! Nice people always get a break! ...GL! You never learn anything by talking....only by listening!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back