Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cable Modem and Wireless Setup, any guide will be useful

Status
Not open for further replies.

magneto77

Programmer
Aug 18, 2003
AU
Hello Guys & Gals,

I have a Motorola SB5100 SurfBoard & a D-LINK DI-624+ (802.11g 2.4Ghz Wireless) Router

Need to configure this to items with a wired connection to a Desktop PC.

Not doing a wireless connection as yet, any guides I can follow or any assistance I get from anyone at this forum will be greatly appreciated.

Running WINXP, am about to go through the WIZARD on the Router but i think i need to add DNS of my ISP.

Am configuring Motorola SB5100 SurfBoard & a D-LINK DI-624+ (802.11g 2.4Ghz Wireless) Router

- Am able to install the router and ping it, but what i need
to do on the router to access the cable modem ????

Cheers,
M77

I have worked with the D-link router in question. Connect the surfboard RJ-45 connection that normally goes to the PC into the WAN port on the router. Connect the PC to port 1 on the switch portion of the router. Connect to the default ip address which I believe is a 192.168.1.1 address in Internet Explorer by typing
From there tell the router to determine both the IP and DNS automatically like you do your nic card in your PC. Then tell the router to emulate your NIC's MAC address as if it was your PC. After doing those steps disable your wireless or set it up with Encryption and a SSID number for security purposes. Make sure to write down all information you enter for future purposes. Oh and change the password and IP address of the Router to something more secure than 192.168.1.1 and "admin"

Hope this helps.

Im doing the same thing except im using the SB4100 Modem. I have a problem tho, the WAN indicator on the router wont light up when i connect the modem to the router. Thus even after setting everything up in the ip address my p.c wont go online. please help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back