Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cable issues/protector issues on option 81C

Status
Not open for further replies.

Homer7950

Vendor
Jul 13, 2017
US
We have a 81C that has several buildings on it. We have noticed a problem a problem with the cable plant to one particular building. Don't believe it is a distance problem. Other building are further away. What happens is that a digital phone will stop working. Sometimes it can be has simple as lifting the pair and punching it back down and the phone will work again. Or change pairs and it will work. Thought it might be a cable problem. Pulled in a new 200 pair about 700 feet. We did reuse the same protector block.we have changed out some of the protectors but we still have phones going down on the system to this building.it' random. Grounding is good cable is in a tunnel between buildings so it is protected. Usually if I have a protector problem you can tell its bad and just replace it. How can just lifting and repunching get the phone to work but later we will have a different phone go down. It's almost like a capacitance issue. But it's so random.

What kind of fuses on the protection? I've found that sometimes only decent gas tubes would provide consistent service for digital sets. Also, make sure you don't have any grounding loops.

Recently, a friend of mine from my "BT" days showed me some of the newer style termination blocks in an exchange. They were cheaper to buy than the previous ones. However they were prone to causing faults and the solution was to double jumper the pair rather than go via the input / output connectors.

You mentioned that you kept the original termination box. It might be worthwhile changing the way the cable is connected.

Firebird Scrambler

Nortel & Avaya Meridian 1 / Succession & BCM / Norstar Programmer

Website = linkedin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back