Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cable color coding 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Desmisclvlv

Vendor
Oct 4, 2022
US
Is there an industry standard to differentiate the jacket colors for different types of ethernet network cabling?

I had wanted to start sticking to a standard. For example with category 5e I always used blue and I noticed most people were using blue but now there's category 6, 6a, 7 etc and so on plus fiber etc.

For POE I have been using yellow but just wondering if there is a industry standard

I also match up the color of the RJ45 wall jack so an IP phone with Poe as a yellow wall jack, data has blue for cat5e the old style DS handsets with a single pair I've always stuck to White.

There isn't a standard for distinguishing among different categories of copper Ethernet cables by color. Fortunately, cable jackets are marked with the category class. (Fiber does have a standard.) However, there are recommendations for color coding by function/application (see e.g. ANSI/TIA-606 standard). Color coding by function, or other criteria, are quite common. For any given installation, deciding on a scheme, sticking to that scheme, and documenting it is what's most important.

Blue for the run between the location jack and the equipment room/closet is a recommendation and is common. Color coding for PoE might not be the best choice as requirements change. How do you know that a particular cable initially not used for PoE won't be used for it later.

I don't get the question.

Jacket colour? use any color if not exposed in the office are, or use the same colour as the ceiling or walls if exposed in the office area.
The colours can also be the same for both voice or data if you read on.

Here is your "industry standards":
-You use one 4 cable for each device.
-You terminate all 4 pairs on each end according to the diagram for A or B wiring.
-The devices at either end will decided what pairs it wants/needs to use.

Wallplate jacks(inserts)
-there is no standard for what colours you use as they are not relevant to the job, however having 1 colour for Voice & 1 for Data was handy at one time.
As an example:
Some large sites might have 4 jacks (or more) on the same wallplate.
If they are all the same colour but have a # on them then that's what is important.
The user might have a Digital or IP phone (or 2 phones of either) and a PC and a Printer

Your jacks can have just a number and patched accordingly to the correct switches or another patch panel such as a conversion to digital BIX/66/110
So if a site has 200 cables then they might be labelled 1 to 200 and not 1 to 100 X 2.

Having said that you may want to use a coloured jack for "digital phones" (for the end user) but keep the same number plan 1-200.

Colour codes for T568A or T568B
See the wiring and info here.

You ALWAYS terminate all 4 pairs properly on data cables, no ands/ifs/buts.

I cant stand lazy techs.
Imagine having some tech terminate one pair only for digital sets then one day they go voip? now you have to inconvenience the client, move desks/items pull the wall plates off, then terminate the other 3 pairs, screw it back on then test them all, and who pays?
Nonsense!

Capice?

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

I'm afraid there's no standard as every site's needs will be different.

I use orange for POE as the ports are that colour. Probably different colours for servers and uplinks.

Bear in mind that not all sizes are available in all colours.

My color code scheme is Telco Grey jacketed cabling for telephones and blue for computer/Internet-related devices.

I [love2] "FEATURE 00

I used to tell the end users that if they used the wrong colored cable that the PC/Phone etc. would not work.
Some of them believed me and it kept the color code going for a long while. [bigsmile]

If you use a color then just ensure that color is used only for that purpose on all your sites.

I'm not aware of any actual standards, but nearly every building I've ever seen that still has old analog/digital voice cabling and data cabling usually uses white/beige cabling for voice, and blue for data, with putty jacks (or whatever color matches the faceplate) for voice and orange for data. Sometimes a different color cable (usually yellow, green or purple) will be used for non-user endpoints, like WAPs or IP Cameras.

I used blue for ISDN as British Telecom used this for some of their sockets.

Socket = English for "Jack"

“Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it.
If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH'.
The paint wouldn't even have time to dry.”

Terry Pratchet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back