Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cab files: extract them or put them in a folder. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technical User
Sep 2, 2001
US
My boss has asked me to find a way to eliminate the need for our users to install the cd after installing a new device, ect(95 or 98). I don't know if I should extract them with a batch file for should I just copy them to a folder. What is the advantage of doing one over the other.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Just copy them to a folder on the hard drive. MS suggest putting the .cab files in the \Windows folder in \options\cabs. I suggest putting then on the C:\ in \win98 folder. This makes it easy for others to use them. Dont extract the files from the cabs and then put them on the drive. This will take up way more space than just the .cab files them selves. the .cab files are pretty much zip files and then compressed to make them smaller. James Collins
Systems Support Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

Which ever folder they are put in, you can edit the registry and users won't have to worry with pointing to the cabs when they are asked for the Windows™ CD. GO to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > Software > Microsoft > Windows > CurrentVersion > SetUp.

Chance the SourcePath Key to the Directory that you put the cabs in.

Then when the CD is needed it will automatically know where to look without user input. Every day above ground is a GOOD DAY!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back