Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CA eTrust users...do I need to buy annual support? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

wahnula

Technical User
Jun 26, 2005
US
Hello,

I have been running CA eTrust on my SBS2003 SP1 Premium server since 11/2005. My receipt says:

eTrust Antivirus v7x serial # Registration code
Value Maintenance 1 Year serial# Expires: 10-Nov-2006

Does this mean I am no longer getting definition updates? Do I need to purchase another year of "Value Maintenance"? All seems normal at the console and I have not received any notices at the console or via email. All clients have NortonAV that needs to be renewed annually, but it gives me a big red box when it's due.

I am especially concerned as next week the server will be reconfigured to be a full email server through Exchange (10 accounts) and I want to make sure everyone is protected.

Thanks!

Tony

As far as I know CA eTrust is a one time license. At least for us it is. We used the open license plan which allows us free version upgrades (i.e. 7.1 to 8.0) for 3 years. Even after the 3 years the definition updates still happen and you can still access th online support and get the driver updates. BTW, make sure you download and install the driver updates, they don't d/l and install automagically.

I believe the Maintenance plan is just that, "free" support for a year. Even with our OLP we still have to pay per support call.

Cheers.

Thanks for the reply cmeagan656. Question:

BTW, make sure you download and install the driver updates, they don't d/l and install automagically.

Does this refer to virus definitions or software updates? I would hope the latter...

Tony

This refers to the driver updates NOT the definition updates. If configured for automatic updates your definitions will update according the schedule that you have set.

Driver updates are just that, they don't update your software to the latest version just the drivers. Check that you have the latest driver updates here:
I believe you have to install the Exchange agent of eTrust once you've installed Exchange. I don't know for certain as we already had the 6.0 Exchange agent running (with 6.0 the Exchange agent had to be purchased separately) when we upgraded to 7.1 so eTrust automatically updated the Exchange agent.

Cheers.

Thanks again. I am having a pro tech person from a local shop come in this Thursday to assist in getting Exchange up, I don't want to get sold a bunch of software if the ver. I have is sufficient. I will check about the Exchange Agent.

Tony

If you're using version 7.1 or higher then the Exchange agent should be on the eTrust antivirus CD. When you originally installed eTrust on your SBS server it just wouldn't have installed because it couldn't find Exchange. Once you install Exchange you'll just need to run the installation CD again and select the Exchange agent.

Cheers.

cmeagan, Exchange was installed and operational for interoffice email when I installed eTrust, but I will have the tech double-check the settings. Thanks for your replies!

Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back