Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CA ETrust Antivirus 8 - Mass redirect download source

Status
Not open for further replies.

hambo12

Technical User
Dec 16, 2003
AU
I want to move the Etrust Threat Management console to a new server.

However this will also mean I have to go around to every client PC and manually change the download source for updates to the new server.

Is there any way to redirect all clients updates to the new update server?

I haven't used eTrust Threat Management but with InoculateIT (and I think Pest Patrol but I can't remember) you could change the distribution server via the admin console. You'd change it via enforced policy so if you had different branches on the tree you would have to change each branch but at least it wouldn't be every PC.

Hope this helps.

Please help us help you. Read FAQ690-6594: How to ask the best questions and site policies before posting.

Providing all the PC's already report to the existing server you can just change the distribution policy for the pc's and set it to the new server (as cmeagan656 said).

For this to happen though all clients will need to have the phone home server set to the current server. If not you can roll out a registry key (let me know if you need it) via a logon script or group policy to set it.

You will also need to then create a policy that will change both the distribution server and the phone home server to the new one.

Leave them both running for a week or two and that should make sure that enough time will of passed for ALL pc's to pick up the changes and point to the new server.

Let me know if you need any more help with the policies or anything.

Leave them both running for a week or two and that should make sure that enough time will of passed for ALL pc's to pick up the changes and point to the new server.

You shouldn't need to. You should be able to force a discovery of the subnet, just like when you add a new PC. I'm thinking V7.1 but my understanding is that the admin console in 8.0 didn't change much. I could be wrong though and I don't have 8.0 at hand at the moment.

Hope this helps.

Please help us help you. Read How can I maximize my chances of getting an answer? before posting.

I speak from experience with a large laptop user base who are out of the office quite a lot.

If all you have in your organisation are desktops then yes forcing the discovery should be enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back