Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

C831 FastEthernet Interfaces Question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

advfilmssaul

IS-IT--Management
Aug 12, 2003
US
I have a C831 running IOS Version 12.3(2)XA.

My running config only shows Ethernet0 (LAN Port) and Ethernet1 (WAN Port) as being valid interfaces in the config file.

I have seen numerous posts on this forum where C831 users have posted their configs and the running config references FastEthernet1 thru FastEthernet4 as valid interfaces with the following lines in their config file...

!
interface FastEthernet1
no ip address
duplex auto
speed auto
!
interface FastEthernet2
no ip address
duplex auto
speed auto
!
interface FastEthernet3
no ip address
duplex auto
speed auto
!
interface FastEthernet4
no ip address
duplex auto
speed auto
!

Is this due to a difference in IOS versions? I would love to be able to reference thse FE interfaces to MRTG the traffic thru them.

Cany anybody shed some light on this subject?

Thanks

Saul

It all comes down to the hardware modules installed on your hardware. Your router only has two interfaces that's why it only shows two valid interfaces in the config file. Issue a show version command and the output will display the interfaces present on your router. This information is displayed towards the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back