Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

C++ USB Programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

JB009

Programmer
Mar 29, 2006
US
Hi,
I am new to hardware programming(especially USB) so please bear with me and my questions. I am using C++ and I need to send/receive some data (a byte array) to/from a USB port on a microprocessor board.

Now, I have done some serial port programming before and I know that for a serial port you have to open a port, setup, perform i/o and finally close the port. I am guessing to use a USB port, it is not as simple as what I mentioned above.

I do know that I want to use Microsoft standard drivers and implement standard Windows IO commands to accomplish this, since I believe there are no drivers for the microprocessor board for me to interact with.

If somebody can point me in the right direction as to the steps needed to "talk" to a USB port (open, setup, i/o) via standard Windows IO commands, I would truly and greatly appreciate it. Thanks!!

You might find something of use here.

--
If you dance barefoot on the broken glass of undefined behaviour, you've got to expect the occasional cut.

Hi,

If you want a simple and fast solution I suggest to use an emulator which convert serial data to USB, so you can handle it from yor program as a simple serial port.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back