Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

C++ or C++.net AND BORLAND

Status
Not open for further replies.

PmtAce

Technical User
Apr 6, 2006
US
I am going to be learning a new language. Online I have read that other than C and assembly languages, C++ and C++.net are the languages that will be best to learn, fastest, most powerful, and will support all of the features I will need in game development. When I went to Microsoft.com, it said C++.net was the C++ language, plus the .net framework. However when trying to compile a simple hello world program, it came up with so many errors like it was the wrong language. My first question is, is C++.net really the C++ language (and just has the .net framework)? The next question is, if C++.net really is the C++ language, is it worth learning over C++ (or should I learn it later)?
Seeing C++ seems more popular that C++.net, I will probably end up learning that. I tried downloading BORLAND C++ compiler. When I did, I had no idea what to do. I saw that it was a command line compiler, but I could not figure out what to do. I then found online that you had to first configure it. When I created all the batch files and other things it wanted me to, it still did not work. My third request would be for someone to tell me how to use the BORLAND Compiler, including how to set it up. If there is a better and easier compiler than Borland, please tell me that and how to set it up.
My last question is are there any books that are really good for first learning C++ and C++.net and learning to game program with them along with compilers that are better and easier.
Thanks for the response in advance.

A good book to learn C++, IMO, is the "Big C++" book. Its a nice easy to understand book on C++, and covers everything from data types to the Standard Template Library.

Borland Turbo C++ explorer is a very good free c++ IDE, you can find it on the borland website under c++... or maybe its under turbo C++.

This link
shows lot's of "how" for BORLAND C++ compiler.
I tried this and it worked for me OK.

Googling for "using free command line tools borland"
gives you somemore links, including some free IDE.

(lack of IDE is _really_ crippling after all.)

about Borland Turbo C++ explorer... I never heard of it. Reading on, looks pretty good - and free.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back