Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

C#.NET (Standard) and SQL Server Activation

Status
Not open for further replies.

russellobrien

Programmer
May 14, 2003
GB
I have recently installed SQL Server, but when using Server Explorer in Visual C#.NET it doesn't seem to recognise it, and the menu item to create a new database is greyed out.

Any ideas why?

Many thanks,

R O'Brien

Is your server up and running when you start C#? And if so, are there any active databases in it?

I don't know. Something to check out.

FYI, we're running SQL here, and I didn't have a problem seeing it.

Apparently yes. I am fairly new to SQL Server but it is working in other respects. I wasn't aware that SQL Server functionality was not present in the standard edition so I am presuming it is an initialisation thing.

Any ideas?

Russell

To see if you reach a SQL Sever go to Tools->Connect to DataBase.
In the Provider tab select Microsoft OleDb Provider for SQL Server and fill server name (machine name or IP address) , user name/password for this one and click Test Connection. If this is successful you will see an entry of this server in the Server Explorer.

-obislavu-

In server explorer, I think you can right-click and attach to a SQL Server instance too.

Chip H.

If you want to get the best response to a question, please check out FAQ222-2244 first

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back