Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

C-LAN Intermittantly Dropping All Connections 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toni269

MIS
Apr 18, 2002
I am having a problem with my C-LAN card dropping all connections at the same time. (G3ver10) It happens maybe 5-6 times per day, either in the middle of calls or in the middle of the night when things are idle. My (IP) DSA connection is dropped and also anyone using an IP Softphone (ver. 3.2.14.0) is logged out. Generally they can just log themselves back in but sometimes I have to go in and busy/release the card. I have already had Avaya replace the C-LAN card, I have followed all of their instructions on re-seeding the card, removing the softphone from my computer registry, reinstalling, sending them event log files. I have 6 trouble tickets open with Denver and they said they are moving it up to Tier 3, just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this problem. Thanks in advance for any advice!

is it a TN799DP card? Also are you checking your ehternet switch to make sure there isn't a conflict between that?

What is your ethernet switch that the CLAN is hooked to?

Do you have both of them nailed up to 100MB/Full duplex?

BuckWeet

Yes it is a Tn799DP card. I just checked and there is not a conflict between the ethernet, they are both hard set. In the switch I have it set to:

C-LAN 10 Mbps Half
MedPro 100 Mbps Full

The ethernet is a Cisco 4006. Thank you!

Quick question... I know you said you didn't see any conflicts. But what module are you connecting to in the 4006? I just did an install over the weekend connecting a 799DP and a Medpro to a 48 port inline power module and both boards freaked totally.. Then luckily the customer has a 10/100/1000mb blade, connected to that, and its working like a charm.

just a thought...

BuckWeet

Make sure the cisco 4006 ports is hardcoded to the speeds you mentioned on each of the medpro and clan cards.

Set all the QOS tags in the phone switch to OFF or NO. I think those settings are in the "ip-network-region 1" settings. Turn off the 802.1p/Q Enabled? n. Set these values in the Cisco 4006.

If your CLAN card is capable of 100 full, then set it to 100 full like the Medpro and ensure that you hardcode it on the Cisco 4006 as well.

The only other option you have is to move the ip connection from the clan card to another switch/hub. Run &quot;ping ip <gateway or know ip address> long repeat 50&quot; and see if there are many or any timeouts or missed pings.

Try this from both the clan card and from the Medpro to the gateway and see if both IP connections are dropping pings.

Use the ping <help> to see how to ping from the Medpro.

Lastly, important, important, important, check the vintage of the clan card and make sure it is the latest release of software and hardware vintage. this is a big factor in the success of the ip conectivity.

Thank you buckweet and netcon1,
I am connecting to module 3 in the 4006, the speeds are hard coded and the Qos Tags are set to No. The pings are all good. I looked at display output from port settings and there are no errors.

I went and got instructions from Avaya on how to upgrade the firmware vintage, and this morning I upgraded from vintage 1 to 5. It's been about 2 hours since I finished and so far no problems... I have my fingers crossed. Thank you for sharing your knowledge and for your time!

Just an update: We successfully upgraded Firmware, then we replaced the wiring harness behind the C-LAN and MEDPRO boards from Cat 3 to Cat 5. Which did not solve the problem. We had our processor replaced last Friday night, I thought it solved the problem because we had no disconnects until Tuesday afternoon, which they said that the system did a reset 1 on it's own.

We also have a better problem discription. At the same time we get an IO PROCESSOR error: ISDN/dropped calls, ASA (Telnet), DSA (Data Mod), Dial Up (Inads), SAT Terminal Connections, and VoIP Softphones all disconnect.

I have Tier 3 and a FAST engineer with network sniffers on site for the last week with Mst_debug button on my phone I can press when it happens, then they can download and analyze the trace.

Since the processor was replaced we have a new errors: PROC-SAN, PI-SCI, and SYSTEM, but no new IO PROCESSOR errors...(yet!)

Has anyone ever looked at a backplane problem in one of your carriers.

Perhaps some bent pins shorting together.

Grab a flashlight next time the systems down and look at all the pin connections. Look for any bent or shorting pins.

Also, is the tone clock a 2182(B). the old tn2182 cards are not robust enough for V6 and above and need to be replaced. QPPCN 969DR. Also is the sync pegged to the tone clock or the DS1 card in your switch. Display sync and this should tell you. If it is free running and no sync port assigned, you may also see intermittent problems. Peg it to the DS1 board whenever possible.

Just some more thoughts

Netcon1

Netcon, you are right on the money with the backplane problem, we moved the CLAN and MEDPRO boards into another cabinet and then upgraded the wiring harness. Our tone clock is a TN2182. Are you implying that they should upgrade my Tone Clock for free? I THANK YOU for your input and ideas. I am not familiar wiht the Disp Sync command:

SYNCHRONIZATION SOURCE (circuit pack location)
Stratum: 4 Primary: 01C16 Secondary: 01A12
CIRCUIT PACKS AVAILABLE FOR SYNCHRONIZATION
Location Type Name Slip Location Type Name Slip
01A12 DS1 Local 1 y
01A13 DS1 Local 2 y
01C16 DS1 LD 1 y
01C15 DS1 LD 2 y
01A15 DS1 LD 3 n
NOTE: DS1 and BRI TRUNK sources result in stratum 4, type II synchronization

Netcon1, thank you VERY much for the QPPCN 969DR tip! Avaya is sending us a new one for free next week! They said it is supplied to any site with V6 and above that uses IP trunking. I hope it helps to solve our problem. I will definately let you know. Thanks again!

Netcon1, QPPCN 969DR tip absolutely fixed the problem we have been battleing for the last 5 months! Avaya replaced both the Tone Clock and the Processor Interface card on the same evening and since then, no trouble whatsoever. I can't thank you enough!
Toni

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back